Football gods Punishing us/Mcvay for lack of the run game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I'm not nearly as worried about the Rams offensive run game as their inability to STOP the run.

Our offensive run game will come along when we get our offensive line gelled.

I don't see any hope for our defenses ability to stop the run with those free agent linebackers, Bobby Brown and two rookies starting.

Our inability to stop the run is a major problem
I can't remember the last time the Rams were consistently good at stopping the run.

Like...1985-86?

Chris Farley Idk GIF

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The game plan needs to be like what the Detroit game ended up as. Lots of 3 step drops but with more running attempts. And runs out of under center.
Forget all these runs out of the shotgun, I hate them. Once you get the ground game going a little, now play action.
I would like to see Whittington break out this game. And he has game, you can see it.
I think McVay is pissed. He will have the guys ready to play and will have something up his sleeve.

Tano

Legend
We're getting punished first and foremost because Alaric Jackson can't be counted on. Right now my mindset is I'm fuckin pissed.

Kupp's style results in a lot of contact. Same with Nacua. We played two games vs geeked up opponents in their houses, hard hitting and physical games. So if McVay had dialed up more runs we probably just move the ball worse and lose bigger. Because this team was not ready to play on either line for the first two games. They almost got it done in Detroit by riding quick reads by a vet QB but this ain't horseshoes.

SF is gonna kick our asses. But if both lines play well we may not get rolled and maybe go 0-3 with some self respect. Key for that game is just get the OL going with good, solid play. Protect and play as a group, build on that and see where it goes. Defensively we'll see with the front. At this point I suspect Shula may be stupid and stubborn enough to start Reeder. If so you can't help him. He'll end up failing and getting fired while the Rams spin it as he went off for some amazing opportunity at southeast illinois central state community college. I'm not worked up about it, really, he either is smart enough or he isn't.

We lost both our chain movers in the pass game. So Johnson and Whittington are going to need to do that for us. Tutu should be able to get snaps now so I hope he's ready too. Shit's gonna be ugly. Gonna be a lot of three 'n outs but keeping those controlled will be important to avoid our defense getting rolled.

Oh who am I kidding. Our defense is gonna get trucked. But yes I do hope the OL with AJ returning can get some damn movement up front in the run game. SF defense has not exactly been their dominant self so far vs the run. Of course they'll probably look great vs our boys but you never know. Maybe they have their "preseason" out of their system now.
If Reeder and Rozeboom both start again - I can see Shanahan doing an Waterboy thing but reading Defense for Dummies instead of Offense for Dummies

pvtdragon39

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Reeder and Rozeboom both start again - I can see Shanahan doing an Waterboy thing but reading Defense for Dummies instead of Offense for Dummies
This is all I could think of if those two start again.

Attachments

• 0c90100f-772c-4575-9126-8b0c60ab6800_text.gif
    0c90100f-772c-4575-9126-8b0c60ab6800_text.gif
    253.2 KB · Views: 5

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
It's weird I know, but I actually feel a bit badly for Bruss. The kid has worked hard at getting back into our, and coaches. good graces and his reward is to be put in a position that he has almost no experience in (LG) due to injuries and him being the best available option. Just sucks as does the start of our promising year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's weird I know, but I actually feel a bit badly for Bruss. The kid has worked hard at getting back into our, and coaches. good graces and his reward is to be put in a position that he has almost no experience in (LG) due to injuries and him being the best available option. Just sucks as does the start of our promising year.
Some guys can flip their feet without too much problem. I have no idea if Bruss is one of those. If he's not then his outing at LG might suck ass.

But playing Guard is easiest position on the OL. They beat their dude in a phone box compared to being on the edge. And if his game is there, which it has looked solid thus far in preseason, then it's about him not fucking up the calls. Taking the right dude and playing in tandem with the others. Seeing stunts coming. Getting his feet set and at least impeding blitzers in the inside gaps.

Keep saying this and will say it again... SF doesn't look dominant on its defensive front this year. I'm sure we'll get all they have as a division rival, but we know them too. It's gonna be a loss but all I care about is seeing this line take a step forward. The fucking garbage we have witnessed for 2 games now is not acceptable.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Some folks here are throwing McVay under the bus, even calling for change. Before you do that, just remember what things were like when he had Fisher and Spags as head coaches. McVay will figure it out. You can't predict or plan for injuries when they become an epidemic.

I suspect Detroit may not be as good as advertised either, being that the Rams were one more first down away from beating them.

We need to survive and maybe steal a game somewhere, hopefully this week would be perfect. It seems like recently (other than the NFCCG) the Rams have blown chances to bury the whiners. This week would be devastating to their aspirations if the Rams can win it. Especially when it looks like the Shehawks and Cards are improved.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't see anyone wanting a new coach. I sure don't. I do worry if we have another 2022 type season with all the injuries that he might consider bailing this time and go to the booth.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah as if losing isn't tough enough already. Then we need to listen to clowns like Foolio suggesting he is gonna leave. Good times.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Here is a good listen. The questions I have after listening are. Is the DC not getting through. Do they miss Morris? Will McVay ever embrace 12 man and running the ball as he should and stop 30 - 40 + pass attempts a game?

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6hxNbuGJGpnw8h2gVHMUjT?si=Jz6AysnCS2CbKFVKaTwulw

Interesting listening to them calling out that the Rams weren't lining up correctly on Defense. Additionally on one play where all the Dline rushed in the wrong direction. That's just pathetic.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting listening to them calling out that the Rams weren't lining up correctly on Defense. Additionally on one play where all the Dline rushed in the wrong direction. That's just pathetic.
Yeah there was zero rush discipline. The play where Murray ran for like 30 fucking yards on third and forever for a first down was due to Turner taking a wide path around the blocker and opening a massive hole for him to run through. But it was all of them. True team effort.

If we don't see improvement in that regard this week vs SF there is a good chance Shula is in over his head. I'm pulling for the dude too but damn man that shit will get you fired fast as fuck at this level.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I understand the art of war and trying to gain an advantage over the enemy with the element of surprise but when the Rams opened up against the Lions with all of those passing plays I knew we were in trouble. All the pre game talk was about how the Lions improved on pass coverage so what were the Rams thinking?
Now he has to run the ball and no one will be surprised. Lets hope this new o-line can jell fast.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Some folks here are throwing McVay under the bus, even calling for change. Before you do that, just remember what things were like when he had Fisher and Spags as head coaches. McVay will figure it out. You can't predict or plan for injuries when they become an epidemic.

I suspect Detroit may not be as good as advertised either, being that the Rams were one more first down away from beating them.

We need to survive and maybe steal a game somewhere, hopefully this week would be perfect. It seems like recently (other than the NFCCG) the Rams have blown chances to bury the whiners. This week would be devastating to their aspirations if the Rams can win it. Especially when it looks like the Shehawks and Cards are improved.
Seahawks have yet to beat anyone. Cardinals have been here before. Just a matter of time before these two turds to sink. Seahawks have 6 of their first 9 games at home but only play 3 of their last 8 in Seattle. I could see them hitting a high water mark of 4 games over 500 only to finish 7-10. Cardinals will eventually crumble with Murray at QB because that’s what the have done since he got there.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Screenshot_20240918_132502_Instagram.jpg

Let's not forget how YOUNG this defense is. We have rookies and 2nd year players across the line and a rookie DC.

We are going to need to be patient. I have no doubt that these players will continue to get better within the scheme.