Football gods Punishing us/Mcvay for lack of the run game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
Coming in to this season, We were one of the top offenses in the League. True to that we Were Top 10 Last year. Now what got us there was our rushing which opened the field more. This year so far in 2 games we are avg 68 Rushing yards a game. Last year we were double that. Seems when we are less than 80yards for our starters, we are doomed from the start. Now it seems all of our Weapons reguarding Passing are taken out. Is the Rams being punished for not being a rushing team?

We are 4th in Passing
31st in Rushing

Our WRs are getting blasted non stop, because they block most plays, then run thier route and then fighting for passes then get blasted again. Do this all game for the same 2 guys with 100s of snaps, no wonder they cant heal. They are being overworked to the point even healthy they cant do it. Kupp has something like 7 plays in a row for him in game 1. What about having TE do some blocking, and Kyren being a work horse and grind out yards. If hes tired, bring in Corum. Get the TE involved on a quick pass play. Not 7-10 pass plays to Kupp, then 1 random rushing play that gets stopped, and mcvay goes back to pass. Keep the Offense on the field as long as possible so our crappy ass defense cant give up a TD.

Are all the injuries mounting to force Mcvay out of his 90% pass habit?

I know its not a great team to compare to but Saints are avg over 40 points first 2 games and they are dead last in passing. 1st in rushing.
Vikings similar vibe. Running the ball. Steelers same top 10 rushing, bottom 5 passing. If we get a combo of 100 + rushing/gm and that will open the flood gates for Stafford to throw. Yes Stafford has his dumb moments but most of them are seasons where he gets hit alot.

The questions are do we go find o-line help via trade and Go rush heavy? Do we get a Vet WR to run with the rooks for cheap who is riding the bench on another team? Deal with what we have?

My 2cents ( which dont matter) is We get Dline help via trade some how and sign, and or trade for a Vet WR to hold down til at least Puka can return. Maybe grind some wins.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Coming in to this season, We were one of the top offenses in the League. True to that we Were Top 10 Last year. Now what got us there was our rushing which opened the field more. This year so far in 2 games we are avg 68 Rushing yards a game. Last year we were double that. Seems when we are less than 80yards for our starters, we are doomed from the start. Now it seems all of our Weapons reguarding Passing are taken out. Is the Rams being punished for not being a rushing team?

We are 4th in Passing
31st in Rushing

Our WRs are getting blasted non stop, because they block most plays, then run thier route and then fighting for passes then get blasted again. Do this all game for the same 2 guys with 100s of snaps, no wonder they cant heal. They are being overworked to the point even healthy they cant do it. Kupp has something like 7 plays in a row for him in game 1. What about having TE do some blocking, and Kyren being a work horse and grind out yards. If hes tired, bring in Corum. Get the TE involved on a quick pass play. Not 7-10 pass plays to Kupp, then 1 random rushing play that gets stopped, and mcvay goes back to pass. Keep the Offense on the field as long as possible so our crappy ass defense cant give up a TD.

I know its not a great team to compare to but Saints are avg over 40 points first 2 games and they are dead last in passing. 1st in rushing.
Vikings similar vibe. Running the ball. Steelers same top 10 rushing, bottom 5 passing. If we get a combo of 100 + rushing/gm and that will open the flood gates for Stafford to throw. Yes Stafford has his dumb moments but most of them are seasons where he gets hit alot.

The questions are do we go find o-line help via trade and Go rush heavy? Do we get a Vet WR to run with the rooks for cheap who is riding the bench on another team? Deal with what we have?

My 2cents ( which dont matter) is We get Dline help via trade some how and sign, and or trade for a Vet WR to hold down til at least Puka can return. Maybe grind some wins.

When your O line can't open holes for the runner, it's hard to get yards on the ground. Last season we had a decent O line and the Rams ran the ball well. We are starting O linemen that were on the practice squad not long ago.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

We are 4th in Passing
31st in Rushing

OLDBUTNOTDEAD yet - is that you ? It’s been awhile - blue font of course.

It’s called Offensive Line !! Funny how The Rams depth is so deep this season!!

I’ll say I LOVE IT !!! We’ll see what this team will do in 2024.To think The Rams will win a Superbowl,I’d say guess again.

BTW(funny thing) how close a team can come to winning a Superbowl.Both The Rams & Lions could have won it last season.Green Bay as well.

This Sunday is what I was talking about before the season.The PERFECT (RED) STORM is coming in
through SOFI!! Merlin posted it yesterday!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When your O line can't open holes for the runner, it's hard to get yards on the ground. Last season we had a decent O line and the Rams ran the ball well. We are starting O linemen that were on the practice squad not long ago.

Well tell me how The O’Line will play this weekend?? My guess is alright depending on The Big(guy) Rob Havenstien.

Getting Alaric Jackson back will be HUGE !!! IMO The Rams should have signed him on The Cheap to a multi year contract!!!

There’s some things the do & other things they don’t.I always play Monday GM !!! LIMMER is such a STUD !!! What a FIND !!’

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We're getting punished first and foremost because Alaric Jackson can't be counted on. Right now my mindset is I'm fuckin pissed.

Kupp's style results in a lot of contact. Same with Nacua. We played two games vs geeked up opponents in their houses, hard hitting and physical games. So if McVay had dialed up more runs we probably just move the ball worse and lose bigger. Because this team was not ready to play on either line for the first two games. They almost got it done in Detroit by riding quick reads by a vet QB but this ain't horseshoes.

SF is gonna kick our asses. But if both lines play well we may not get rolled and maybe go 0-3 with some self respect. Key for that game is just get the OL going with good, solid play. Protect and play as a group, build on that and see where it goes. Defensively we'll see with the front. At this point I suspect Shula may be stupid and stubborn enough to start Reeder. If so you can't help him. He'll end up failing and getting fired while the Rams spin it as he went off for some amazing opportunity at southeast illinois central state community college. I'm not worked up about it, really, he either is smart enough or he isn't.

We lost both our chain movers in the pass game. So Johnson and Whittington are going to need to do that for us. Tutu should be able to get snaps now so I hope he's ready too. Shit's gonna be ugly. Gonna be a lot of three 'n outs but keeping those controlled will be important to avoid our defense getting rolled.

Oh who am I kidding. Our defense is gonna get trucked. But yes I do hope the OL with AJ returning can get some damn movement up front in the run game. SF defense has not exactly been their dominant self so far vs the run. Of course they'll probably look great vs our boys but you never know. Maybe they have their "preseason" out of their system now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

The offense should have been rolling and the d working on the back of that.

The LT has killed the offense in both games. Absolutely killed anything it had going.

Now aj is coming back but the rams have lost all the beef in the interior. Hopefully they hold up so we can see some semblance of what the Rams had planned when they constructed this team.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
There are ways to counteract poor O-line performances. Teams beat the Rams for years with AD wrecking hell in the middle. McVay has lost any concept of a consistent, short passing game. He doesn't have the patience. Did it at times against the Lions, then the Cards adapted, and nothing. It always takes a couple weeks for him to figure it out.

What happened to the jet sweeps and TE screens? How about getting out of 11 personnel?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Seems like a young and inexperienced OL would do better in run blocking, but what do I know.. This bubble screens drive me fucking bananas tho.... I hate those.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Kyren doesn't look the same this year. Last year he it hit that line quick. If the hole was there he'd get a nice gain. If not he'd put his head down and get a couple tough yards. Now he seems tentative. Looking for a seam that isn't there. Waiting to see if it develops. Getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. How much of that is the blocking? How much is him?

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311

We are 4th in Passing
31st in Rushing

As we saw in 22 without a OL that is all healthy and on the same page you can't run. No holes. So not surprised they can't run or pass with that porous offensive line we now have. Go rams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Down 17-3 to Detroit beginning of 3rd
Down 21-0 to Cards with 1 minute gone in the 2nd quarter

Hard to commit to the run when trailing like that

pvtdragon39

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly why I made this post.

Sounds like we need to make a trade for D help then, and maybe a O-line guy or two. Stafford will not survive to the trade dealine at this rate.

Shula will be "fired" by next week most likely.

We have No Cap left really and We dont want to use trade capital unless its a huge trade. Something has to give here. Who can we trade for someone?

Hopefully TJ,Tutu, and Whittington can hold the fort down and do good.

Idk what Mcvay sees that is holding Omar from not being put in? Is he being destroyed on ST?

LOURam85

Rookie
We're getting punished first and foremost because Alaric Jackson can't be counted on. Right now my mindset is I'm fuckin pissed.

Kupp's style results in a lot of contact. Same with Nacua. We played two games vs geeked up opponents in their houses, hard hitting and physical games. So if McVay had dialed up more runs we probably just move the ball worse and lose bigger. Because this team was not ready to play on either line for the first two games. They almost got it done in Detroit by riding quick reads by a vet QB but this ain't horseshoes.

SF is gonna kick our asses. But if both lines play well we may not get rolled and maybe go 0-3 with some self respect. Key for that game is just get the OL going with good, solid play. Protect and play as a group, build on that and see where it goes. Defensively we'll see with the front. At this point I suspect Shula may be stupid and stubborn enough to start Reeder. If so you can't help him. He'll end up failing and getting fired while the Rams spin it as he went off for some amazing opportunity at southeast illinois central state community college. I'm not worked up about it, really, he either is smart enough or he isn't.

We lost both our chain movers in the pass game. So Johnson and Whittington are going to need to do that for us. Tutu should be able to get snaps now so I hope he's ready too. Shit's gonna be ugly. Gonna be a lot of three 'n outs but keeping those controlled will be important to avoid our defense getting rolled.

Oh who am I kidding. Our defense is gonna get trucked. But yes I do hope the OL with AJ returning can get some damn movement up front in the run game. SF defense has not exactly been their dominant self so far vs the run. Of course they'll probably look great vs our boys but you never know. Maybe they have their "preseason" out of their system now.
Missing navy’s and kupp might be a blessing in disguise cause maybe Matt want just force feed when they come back

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not nearly as worried about the Rams offensive run game as their inability to STOP the run.

Our offensive run game will come along when we get our offensive line gelled.

I don't see any hope for our defenses ability to stop the run with those free agent linebackers, Bobby Brown and two rookies starting.

Our inability to stop the run is a major problem

Sphere

UDFA
I'm not nearly as worried about the Rams offensive run game as their inability to STOP the run.

I don't see any hope for our defenses ability to stop the run with those free agent linebackers, Bobby Brown and two rookies starting.

For all of the high praise Kobe Turner gets, I dont hear his name called much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I really think the Rams need to give Tyler Davis the start at NT over Brown and then start Speights & Hummel over Reeder & Roseboom. Seriously, could they do any worse? Plus I believe it would inject some energy into the defense.

Everyone could not tackle Murray so Purdy is sneaky quick in the pocket, they need to pound him plus stop the run to have a punchers chance against San Francisco.

DeaconJones

Rookie
McCaffery and now Deebo are out. That is starting to even things up a little. We need one more SF playmaker to go down to give us a chance on D.

Our OL will struggle with Alaric Jackson and Bruss playing first games. Rust and inexperience. If we could get the ground game going then the O could have a chance. I see perhaps more 12 personnel and designed rollouts this week. Keep Stafford healthy at least!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I really think the Rams need to give Tyler Davis the start at NT over Brown and then start Speights & Hummel over Reeder & Roseboom. Seriously, could they do any worse? Plus I believe it would inject some energy into the defense.

Everyone could not tackle Murray so Purdy is sneaky quick in the pocket, they need to pound him plus stop the run to have a punchers chance against San Francisco.
I agree with this. Literally, what do we have to lose? Davis was lights out in the preseason, as was Omar. Let's see what we have, cuz what we already have is awful.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Kyren doesn't look the same this year. Last year he it hit that line quick. If the hole was there he'd get a nice gain. If not he'd put his head down and get a couple tough yards. Now he seems tentative. Looking for a seam that isn't there. Waiting to see if it develops. Getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. How much of that is the blocking? How much is him?
IMO Kyren is a "wait and see" runner.
There haven't been any holes developing with this year's OL disaster.

BC

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Precisely.

How's that new hip.