Fisher considering reunion with Haynesworth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
NFL.com
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/24/new-ram ... um=twitter

INDIANAPOLIS — Albert Haynesworth is looking for a job. Maybe he’ll land one from his former coach.

New Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Friday that he and his staff are interested in bringing aboard Haynesworth, who played the first seven years of his career with the Titans under Fisher.

“There’s some unrestricted free agents out there now that are not under contract that we’ve been talking about. He’s one of them,” Fisher said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Whether we do anything about it remains to be seen.”

Haynesworth spent last season with the Patriots and Bucs. He played in six games for the Patriots before being released and signed by the Bucs, who cut him after the season ended.

Haynesworth’s best years were in 2007 and 2008, when he was made the Pro Bowl as a Titan. Coming off those years, Haynesworth landed a seven-year, $100 million free-agent contract with the Redskins but never lived up to expectations as a result of his dislike for playing nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cue me screaming "NO!" for at least an hour. Add in at least a hundred cursewords, and you'll still only get half of how I feel about what Fisher's saying.

This is exactly what I feared would happen.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Memento said:
Cue me screaming "NO!" for at least an hour. Add in at least a hundred cursewords, and you'll still only get half of how I feel about what Fisher's saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Thats what i pictured from your description lol...

But in all seriousness, we're hurting for DT's, what can a training camp tryout hurt?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Memento said:

Meh. Im not worried. Fisher said good things about Moss when Moss did absolutely nothing for them, so I dont think Fisher will publicly shut the door on any available players on the market that he coached. If he comes out and says no then everyone will point to that and say "wow, even his former coach that got the most out of him doesnt want him." Its a red flag for Haynesworth, along with the many others lol. I dont think Fisher would do that to him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I say bring him in. If he is motivated, he can help this DL immensely. Not worried about him causing trouble with Fisher as HC....

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
ramsplaya16 said:
Memento said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Thats what i pictured from your description lol...

But in all seriousness, we're hurting for DT's, what can a training camp tryout hurt?

For Haynesworth, theres been nothing to suggest that he can even be a good player since he got that contract from Washington. He played very hard (especially in his contract year)in Tennessee to get that contract. Theres always a concern with those players because you wonder if their performance will be as good after they get payed, and Haynesworth declined in a big way. The last game I recall him being very good was when he was with the Redskins and it was against the Chicago Bears. Other than that, major bust with the Redskins. He then goes on to NE and cant even last a full season there. Belichick couldnt get anything out of him, and then he gets picked up by Tampa and didnt do much. Even factoring in the history with Fisher, our major need for DT help, I just have no interest in him.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well if he does sign, the Rams can say they created jobs. They'll need a few more team chefs.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Faceplant said:
I say bring him in. If he is motivated, he can help this DL immensely. Not worried about him causing trouble with Fisher as HC....

I really hate to say this, but not even Fisher could control him entirely.

http://www.csnne.com/07/28/11/Looki...cant-rap-s/mobile_landing.html?blockID=544253

He's had these problems throughout his career. It's what caused him to drop in the draft, it's what caused him to be released by three teams in the past two years, and it's why the Titans never did anything more than put the franchise tag on him.

I ask you guys this: is it worth fucking up our team chemistry for one guy who may or may not show up to play?

Anonymous

Faceplant said:

You nailed it. AH would be worth a look to possibly be a short term cheap bridge towards a strong D line. If he plays merely competently our D line improves tremendously. Definitely worth a look.

Anonymous

Memento said:
I ask you guys this: is it worth freaking up our team chemistry for one guy who may or may not show up to play?

I don't know how else to say this other than put away your lollipops and slap your babysitter on the ass because this is a new Rams team. A team built not to fill the church choir or bent on achieving multi-shades of the blue balls........but to win. Win. The W word that counts. This is Coach Fisher's neighborhood not Mr. Rogers. Even pieces of crap get a chance at a clean slate if they are willing to make the effort and PRODUCE. It really seems as culture shock to some here....get over it. It's about WINNING and not pillars. The business is one of winning. LONG OVERDUE.

Memento

Name
Jemma
squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:
I ask you guys this: is it worth freaking up our team chemistry for one guy who may or may not show up to play?

I don't know how else to say this other than put away your lollipops and slap your babysitter on the ass because this is a new Rams team. A team built not to fill the church choir or bent on achieving multi-shades of the blue balls........but to win. Win. The W word that counts. This is Coach Fisher's neighborhood not Mr. Rogers. Even pieces of crap get a chance at a clean slate if they are willing to make the effort and PRODUCE. It really seems as culture shock to some here....get over it. It's about WINNING and not pillars. The business is one of winning. LONG OVERDUE.

You really think this is about pillars for me? You really think I want a whole team full of choir boys? That's not what it's about for me. I want to win just as much as anyone else here. I don't mind taking chances on young problem players at all. But Haynesworth? All he's ever proven is that he puts no effort on the field except in contract years, has had physical altercations with teammates, has a long criminal rap sheet, and that he hasn't done shit ever since the Titans let him go.

Haynesworth has had numerous chances to clean his slate, and he has never done that. He's had numerous chances to make an effort to produce. He hasn't done that either.

I'm not averse to taking on players who have records on the field at all; I've done all but beg for the Rams to sign Cortland Finnegan. I have one of Harvey Dahl's on-the-field quotes in my signature.

I want to win just as much as you do. I support Fisher just as much as you do; he is our coach and deserves to be supported by all of the fans. But I would absolutely hate it if this team became a media circus off-the-field.

That's what I am concerned about. Do you understand my point of view now?

Anonymous

Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:

You really think this is about pillars for me? You really think I want a whole team full of choir boys? That's not what it's about for me. I want to win just as much as anyone else here. I don't mind taking chances on young problem players at all. But Haynesworth? All he's ever proven is that he puts no effort on the field except in contract years, has had physical altercations with teammates, has a long criminal rap sheet, and that he hasn't done shyte ever since the Titans let him go.

Haynesworth has had numerous chances to clean his slate, and he has never done that. He's had numerous chances to make an effort to produce. He hasn't done that either.

I'm not averse to taking on players who have records on the field at all; I've done all but beg for the Rams to sign Cortland Finnegan. I have one of Harvey Dahl's on-the-field quotes in my signature.

I want to win just as much as you do. I support Fisher just as much as you do; he is our coach and deserves to be supported by all of the fans. But I would absolutely hate it if this team became a media circus off-the-field.

No I really don't. Certainly not in regards to abstaining from vet talent or a concern for becoming a "media circus off the field".

Vet talent has to be looked at and incorporated wherever contribution and price intersect for this team. We simply have too many holes to fill. We have to look at even the turds of yesteryear. People can change. Players can mature. At least with the vets you know the talent has been there before. Is an AH at 60-70% of his pro bowl form for the vet minimum worth the risk if the coaches are convinced his head is in the right place? I say yes. I'll defer to the coaches. This team will have to employ short term solutions at different positions for at least this year and next. I'd rather see them do so with vet talent than risk yet another unknown player learning on the job. We will have those types of players too....in the short term we have no choice. Incentives laden deals and the knowledge that business not ego is to be tolerated.

I don't care what the players do off the field as long as it doesn't affect play on the field. Look at the investment this winter alone. This team has to be put on the path of winning soon. I'm not willing to see any avenues nor players discounted before getting a good look first.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:

Man that sounds like fun.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lets not forget that AH was brought into Washington as a 4-3 DT and asked to play nosetackle in a 3-4. Brilliant. Am I saying he can/will be a dominant DT at this point in his career? It's possible, but I would be happy with competent. In a Gregg Williams D, he could be just the guy we need to eat up blockers while the DBs/LBs run amok at the opposing QB......

Memento

Name
Jemma
squeaky wheel said:
No I really don't. Certainly not in regards to abstaining from vet talent or a concern for becoming a "media circus off the field".

Vet talent has to be looked at and incorporated wherever contribution and price intersect for this team. We simply have too many holes to fill. We have to look at even the turds of yesteryear. People can change. Players can mature. At least with the vets you know the talent has been there before. Is an AH at 60-70% of his pro bowl form for the vet minimum worth the risk if the coaches are convinced his head is in the right place? I say yes. I'll defer to the coaches. This team will have to employ short term solutions at different positions for at least this year and next. I'd rather see them do so with vet talent than risk yet another unknown player learning on the job. We will have those types of players too....in the short term we have no choice. Incentives laden deals and the knowledge that business not ego is to be tolerated.

I don't care what the players do off the field as long as it doesn't affect play on the field. Look at the investment this winter alone. This team has to be put on the path of winning soon. I'm not willing to see any avenues nor players discounted before getting a good look first.

I agree with you on most of this. The bolded parts are where I disagree. Like I said, I'm not against signing problem players or veterans, and I'm certainly not above giving people a second chance if they can change. My disagreement is with this one player only. Do you think that someone with Haynesworth's track record can change?

I also think that what players do off the field will always impact the team on the field, especially in this day and age. Repeat offenders, in particular, are people that Goodell is trying hard to crack down on. That means suspensions, which would almost certainly impact a team in a negative way (unless the player is so much of a detriment to the team that suspending him is a good thing - and if that's the case, the team has bigger problems).

And my concern for becoming a media circus off the field is something that stems from the Linehan days. I don't want to see another Claude Terrell on our team. That's what I'm really worried about. For all of the good things that Fisher has done, he has drafted and signed some people that I wouldn't want on the Rams if you paid me to take them (Pacman Jones, Kenny Britt, and Randy Moss come to mind).

That's the only concern I have - and even with that concern in mind, I'm certainly going to support Fisher, and I do believe that he's the one who's going to get the job done.

Just my honest opinion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It would likely really depend on how they could structure a deal. He could be a really good value pick-up and if he doesn't work out, kick him to the curb with the right incentives and requirements written into his contract. I would like to know however, that team leaders like JL, Long, SJ, Hall, etc... endorse the move before he comes aboard. I'm not saying they should have any kind of final say but it should at least be presented to them so that they can give their input. All that being said, I would welcome the deal if he can really improve the team without dragging down the attitude.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:
Memento said:

You really think this is about pillars for me? You really think I want a whole team full of choir boys? That's not what it's about for me. I want to win just as much as anyone else here. I don't mind taking chances on young problem players at all. But Haynesworth? All he's ever proven is that he puts no effort on the field except in contract years, has had physical altercations with teammates, has a long criminal rap sheet, and that he hasn't done shyte ever since the Titans let him go.

Too bad Haynesworthless does both...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzp3uHua40[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9H42PtxEM[/youtube]

superfan24

Starter
Memento said:
squeaky wheel said:

I agree with you on most of this. The bolded parts are where I disagree. Like I said, I'm not against signing problem players or veterans, and I'm certainly not above giving people a second chance if they can change. My disagreement is with this one player only. Do you think that someone with Haynesworth's track record can change?

I also think that what players do off the field will always impact the team on the field, especially in this day and age. Repeat offenders, in particular, are people that Goodell is trying hard to crack down on. That means suspensions, which would almost certainly impact a team in a negative way (unless the player is so much of a detriment to the team that suspending him is a good thing - and if that's the case, the team has bigger problems).

And my concern for becoming a media circus off the field is something that stems from the Linehan days. I don't want to see another Claude Terrell on our team. That's what I'm really worried about. For all of the good things that Fisher has done, he has drafted and signed some people that I wouldn't want on the Rams if you paid me to take them (Pacman Jones, Kenny Britt, and Randy Moss come to mind).

That's the only concern I have - and even with that concern in mind, I'm certainly going to support Fisher, and I do believe that he's the one who's going to get the job done.

Just my honest opinion.

Completely agree with Memento on this situation. Don't mind if Fish doesn't follow the pillars that Spags and Bd set to an extent (even though I liked what Spags was doing), but how can anyone say that Haynesworth will be anymore than clown show. He wouldn't help this team at all on the field or in the locker room. DT is a big need, but would rather have an UDFA then this lazy, fuck-up.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Faceplant said:
Lets not forget that AH was brought into Washington as a 4-3 DT and asked to play nosetackle in a 3-4. Brilliant. Am I saying he can/will be a dominant DT at this point in his career? It's possible, but I would be happy with competent. In a Gregg Williams D, he could be just the guy we need to eat up blockers while the DBs/LBs run amok at the opposing QB......
Yes, but he restructured his deal for more guaranteed money and said he'd be willing to play 3-4. Guess what, he cried and didn't try. I know that Haynesworth had a good contract year for Tennessee when Fisher was there, but we DO NOT NEED this headache. TO is a head case but at least he tried on every single play. He may have tried to split the locker room, but he always there for team meetings and participated. If you wanted someone like TO who tried, I'd understand. But this guy is way, way lazy and a locker room cancer. When he's productive and tries he's great, one of the best DTs out there. But otherwise he'd do more damage than help.

Long story short...I'd pass.