Dick Vermeil

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
01-03-2012 Segment 3, Dick Vermeil
Former Rams Head Coach Dick Vermeil joins The Press Box to discuss the changes at Rams Park and what role he may have in helping the team identify a new coach and general manager.

[mp3]http://media.kfns.com/Podcasts/1949/01-03-12_Segment_3.mp3[/mp3]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What, Demoff made it sound like Vermeil was on board? I thought that meant he was a paid consultant. But that turns out not to be the case. WTF?

Lesson

Oh, really?
steferfootball said:
Dick Vermeil's 1998 season makes me wonder what could have been for 2012.

Look, different circumstances.

Vermeil inherited a better roster than Spags(granted, it still wasn't a really good roster). '99 was DV's 3rd season while this season was Spags' 3rd season.

If Spags was given another season, some of us wouldn't have problems but it would be awfully difficult to sell tickets while retaining a HC who went 10-38.

steferfootball

Starter
Lesson said:
steferfootball said:

Vermeil inherited a better roster than Spags(granted, it still wasn't a really good roster). '99 was DV's 3rd season while this season was Spags' 3rd season.

If Spags was given another season, some of us wouldn't have problems but it would be awfully difficult to sell tickets while retaining a HC who went 10-38.
True, but people were calling for his head. And it wouldn't be the first time a bad team turned it around. Not saying we win anything, just wondering. :)

Lesson

Oh, really?
steferfootball said:
Lesson said:
steferfootball said:

True, but people were calling for his head. And it wouldn't be the first time a bad team turned it around. Not saying we win anything, just wondering. :)

I know people were calling for Vermeil's head, but still a different circumstance.

Now, if Devaney didn't do some of the things he did and didn't give Spags final say on the 53 man roster, things might be a little different.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
steferfootball said:
Lesson said:
steferfootball said:

All he needed was Martz, Faulk, Warner and Holt. Spags could get that kind of boost to personnel and coaching next year on offense. Right? :what:

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
steferfootball said:
Lesson said:
steferfootball said:

All he needed was Martz, Faulk, Warner and Holt. Spags could get that kind of boost to personnel and coaching next year on offense. Right? :what:

Well, he might have gotten his Martz(if McDaniels was going to be fired in order to save his own ass to make new changes to the staff).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
interference said:
What, Demoff made it sound like Vermeil was on board? I thought that meant he was a paid consultant. But that turns out not to be the case. WTF?
We are talking about a 24 hour period people, he said reached out??? Dick did say that he received a phone call. I respect that Dick himself admitted that he had very little to offer, being out of the game for so long. I hope that Faulk actually tries to give some feedback, I think that he has a brilliant football mind, and he's still in touch.

Lesson wrote:
Now, if Devaney didn't do some of the things he did and didn't give Spags final say on the 53 man roster, things might be a little different.
I think that was an issue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope that Faulk actually tries to give some feedback, I think that he has a brilliant football mind, and he's still in touch.
That would be ideal. Yeah.

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

I think Spags had to cut some young guys to save his ass because he knew this season was make it or break it for him. That's why guys like Leber were on the roster as well as Butler over Nelson.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Also, whoever the new HC is, they better not give him final say on the 53 man roster. Because it's back fired 3 times now(yes, I am counting Martz though there was that issue with Zygmunt).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

I think Spags had to cut some young guys to save his ass because he knew this season was make it or break it for him. That's why guys like Leber were on the roster as well as Butler over Nelson.
It's where I first noticed a difference in philosophy, or when we changed course if you will. Funny thing is, and I know this happens all the time, this almost always backfires on a coach. Stay the course, stick to what you believe in. I'm not sure, but keeping and developing more young players may have saved his job. Devaney said it, that you can't fool guys in the locker room.

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

It's where I first noticed a difference in philosophy, or when we changed course if you will. Funny thing is, and I know this happens all the time, this almost always backfires on a coach. Stay the course, stick to what you believe in. I'm not sure, but keeping and developing more young players may have saved his job. Devaney said it, that you can't fool guys in the locker room.

Yep. And from what Bernie said on his show or written in his blog(one of the two), Kroenke didn't sound too pleased with the draft picks being cut. You are right, though. If Spags didn't cut the draft picks, I don't think we are in this situation. Might the team be sub .500 still? Probably, but if Spags had done what both he and Devaney promised to do, the outcome with both he and Billy being gone might be different.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

Yep. And from what Bernie said on his show or written in his blog(one of the two), Kroenke didn't sound too pleased with the draft picks being cut. You are right, though. If Spags didn't cut the draft picks, I don't think we are in this situation. Might the team be sub .500 still? Probably, but if Spags had done what both he and Devaney promised to do, the outcome with both he and Billy being gone might be different.
Glad you brought that up, it's significant to some if they enter into this debate. I'm not sure with the given circumstances that the record would have been any better.

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

Glad you brought that up, it's significant to some if they enter into this debate. I'm not sure with the given circumstances that the record would have been any better.

Master Kroenke has been kind towards Avs management even if they have had sub-par seasons. But you know what they did? They stayed the course, and are currently building from within. That's the deal with Kroenke. Build from within. Spags and Billy tried to do that, but cutting your draft picks is counter productive and does nothing but go against what your boss wants you to do and what you said you would do.

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

I don't think they make the difference in any games - outside some blind luck at a critical point.

IMO at the end of the day I think he is fired with the young players or not.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
steferfootball said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson wrote:

I don't think they make the difference in any games - outside some blind luck at a critical point.

IMO at the end of the day I think he is fired with the young players or not.

I have no idea if the results would have been any better, but they couldn't have been any worse. But there would have been more left for the future if they had survived to coach next year.
A lot of people here said at end of training camp that they were in a win now mode and I guess we know now they were.

Giving any first time HC full control over the 53 is insane. That is earned over time. If the Rams hire a experienced coach like Fisher they will have to give that for him to come here. But he has a track record to look at.

None of this matters anymore because without the change in GM/coach close to 50% of the roster would have got flipped over the winter due to all the 1 year contracts. Now it will be over 6o%.

I was wondering if how old this team got over the last couple seasons had any affect on the decision. Honestly it's hard to claim your rebuilding with the 2nd oldest D and 6th oldest team in the league.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Yamahopper said:
I have no idea if the results would have been any better, but they couldn't have been any worse. But there would have been more left for the future if they had survived to coach next year.
A lot of people here said at end of training camp that they were in a win now mode and I guess we know now they were.

Giving any first time HC full control over the 53 is insane. That is earned over time. If the Rams hire a experienced coach like Fisher they will have to give that for him to come here. But he has a track record to look at.

None of this matters anymore because without the change in GM/coach close to 50% of the roster would have got flipped over the winter due to all the 1 year contracts. Now it will be over 6o%.

I was wondering if how old this team got over the last couple seasons had any affect on the decision. Honestly it's hard to claim your rebuilding with the 2nd oldest D and 6th oldest team in the league.

:whoa: Weren't they the third youngest in 2009? Holy shit