Devaney's statement

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
I'll say this, watching this whole loudmouth coached team (Jets) totally implode, you have to be impressed that Spags held this team together under the circumstances of the season. It was the point that X and many others tried to make, and it's not a little thing. Even though he's gone, we didn't have ANY locker room cancers that emerged. Props for that.

Second that emotion. 2 wins and still no back stabbing. I hate the lack of wins but I respect the attitudes I saw with this team. I think the next regime will have a decent base to work with and hope our next coach commands the quite respect of the players.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I absolutely HATE the Jets, but please...they won FOUR times the amount of games we did this year, even with the cancer in the locker room. I love that we have character on our team, but would prefer a little more....you know....talent??

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
I absolutely HATE the Jets, but please...they won FOUR times the amount of games we did this year, even with the cancer in the locker room. I love that we have character on our team, but would prefer a little more....you know....talent??
Exactly my point. Had the Rams stayed the course (IMO), that talent could have likely ended up here. That's trusting Devaney to make the kinds of moves that get them on the team, and Spagnuolo becoming more flexible in terms of evaluating that talent. Which is why a lot of people (myself included) thought it would have been a good move to give it another shot, but WITH a President of Football Operations in place as overseer.

Didn't happen that way though. So now we're back to square one. Sorta.

Three cheers for three years! Hip hip..... ah fuck it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Faceplant said:

No no no...see this is what pisses me off more than anything, that character = pussy. This is not an attack on you, its just I'm pretty damn passionate about this thinking.

All the top teams don't have selfish players. Their WRs don't care how many catches they had or players don't mind they lost, as long as they had a statistically good game that will help them w/ their next contract.

The Steelers got rid of Holmes and he's the central figure in the Jets' problems the last couple weeks.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I admire the Patriots in they don't put up with any of that shit. I couldn't ever imagine Tom Brady not saying anything to Holmes if he were on that team. It's why Too Overrated never won a SB and why he's been to and cut by 5 different teams.

The Jets won games b/c they have good enough players that were healthy. David Harris, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Shawn Greene, Jim Leonard, etc. Even Plax hasn't been a problem.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As I said, I love that we have character, but you HAVE to have the talent/speed to compete at this level (duh). I hate the Pats as much as the next guy, but agree with their team first mantra. I never said I approve of how the Jets are doing things, I was just saying that you can have to most cohesive locker room on the planet and it won't matter if the personnel isn't there. To play devils advocate for a minute, how are we not sure that our current roster is just used to the culture of losing in Stl and therefore more immune to it? Are they of strong "character" or just defeated emotionally. Before everyone attacks me, I am not stating this as my opinion, just putting it out there for debate. Unfortunately, the organization has been SO BAD over the last 5 years that this actually may be an issue......

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Faceplant said:
As I said, I love that we have character, but you HAVE to have the talent/speed to compete at this level (duh). I hate the Pats as much as the next guy, but agree with their team first mantra. I never said I approve of how the Jets are doing things, I was just saying that you can have to most cohesive locker room on the planet and it won't matter if the personnel isn't there. To play devils advocate for a minute, how are we not sure that our current roster is just used to the culture of losing in Stl and therefore more immune to it? Are they of strong "character" or just defeated emotionally. Before everyone attacks me, I am not stating this as my opinion, just putting it out there for debate. Unfortunately, the organization has been SO BAD over the last 5 years that this actually may be an issue......
Not if Chris Long as anything to say about it. Bradford, too, for that matter. Long vowed that he wasn't going to feel like this (the losing) next season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Faceplant said:

That's a valid question. But I just didn't see a team that was ok with losing or getting used to it. I have always said though that winning cures an awful lot and teams that maybe are no better than they were the year before can build off a few early wins. It didn't happen obviously for us this year and in fact went the other way. That doesn't mean that this same core group of guys can't turn it around with maybe better schemes and a fresh start. I do contend that this team has more of a team first mind set and that is why you didn't see the shit like you see with the Jets - not the idea that they just stopped caring about losing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Faceplant said:

Yeah sure, we need players. But I'll tell you what, I'd take Wes Welker over Santonio Holmes. Sam Bradford over JaMarcus Russell.

This team lost b/c of a.) injuries b.) coaching c.) PS players signed Tuesday and play Sunday d.) bad luck. It's not b/c players "mailed it in" or gave up.