Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
S Korea’s success (and single-minded devotion to mitigation) has been written about extensively, though.

S Korea threw the kitchen sink and more at Covid.

South Korea is a tiny country compared ton the United States, both georgraphically and demographically. Comparing the Covid response between such different entities is ridiclous, on par with those who compare the Canadaian Health Care system to ours. They also don't appear to have our system of federalism and so people can be dictated to by their President down to the local level.

Hell to the no.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we both know under an Emergency Act the Pres can legally do enact basically whatever he wants.
Btw.
Is it fair to use S Korea no ,not really they're the best in the World, but it's just natural for some us too say.

Hey they Have a little less than 1/7th of our population and we have 495 x's more deaths, Wtf.

I have to belief there's somethings we can learn from them.
You don't want to abuse that emergency act....The states have to power to do what they must, as long as they protect the rights granted under the Bill of Rights. The federal govenrment has too much power now as it is.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
You don't want to abuse that emergency act....The states have to power to do what they must, as long as they protect the rights granted under the Bill of Rights. The federal govenrment has too much power now as it is.
I would think, just sayin,under the Covid conditions, the Pres could enact the E act in a heartbeat.

Just going to post, what I believe are Facts and things I believe could help us.

No Disrespect Brother staying away from the Political side of things.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
South Korea is a tiny country compared ton the United States, both georgraphically and demographically. Comparing the Covid response between such different entities is ridiclous, on par with those who compare the Canadaian Health Care system to ours. They also don't appear to have our system of federalism and so people can be dictated to by their President down to the local level.

Hell to the no.
Yeah, as I said before in my response to Vegas, I acknowledge that comparing the USA to S Korea isn't a "fair" comparison.

OTOH, they are about 1/7th of our population yet we have 500 times as many deaths.

As DZ put it well, maybe we could learn a thing or two from them.

You know, like...
(A) Vigorous, widespread testing early on (not waiting many months until it's too late)
(B) Coordinated, nationwide strategy (not hodgepodge of 50 different approaches)
(C) Universal mask wearing (instead of this insanely ludicrous "mask debate" that still lingers)
(D) Actually do contact tracing (vs. none at all)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, as I said before in my response to Vegas, I acknowledge that comparing the USA to S Korea isn't a "fair" comparison.

OTOH, they are about 1/7th of our population yet we have 500 times as many deaths.

You know, like...
(A) Vigorous, widespread testing early on (not waiting many months until it's too late)
(B) Coordinated, nationwide strategy (not hodgepodge of 50 different approaches)
(C) Universal mask wearing (instead of this insanely ludicrous "mask debate" that still lingers)
(B) is the problem. we do Federalism here and South Korea doesn’t...and no it’s not even close to being worth changing.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone

You know, like...
Brother all I can say about you is your Freaking Amazing.

You've been polite,well worded, factual, an excellent poster and on it goes, I truly envy how you do it,in All Seriousness, No BS what so ever.

But now we have to go to the other side of the matter.

There are folks going hungry, folks that want to go back to the job,kids that need a breakfast lunch etc etc and on it goes.

Is their an agenda on both sides, O Hell yeah, but me I just hope the Folk on the Middle come out Ok.

Btw never voted in my life ,has a young child always believed both sides. Ah were Corrupt.

This pertains to No One Here.

Btw Bro you've done something I could never do, Props.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Koreans are also a lot less fat....
Most are.

13B10EAD-94EB-466A-85E8-EB8DAD32D054.jpeg

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
(B) is the problem. we do Federalism here and South Korea doesn’t...and no it’s not even close to being worth changing.
Huh? Just because I'm saying "We could learn a thing or two from South Korea" in no way implies "let's ditch our system of governance."

The flexibility of the USA's system is outstanding. It allows for both competition and cooperation, depending on the problem that needs to be solved.

Since the pandemic affects all fifty states, a coordinated strategy would have been immensely helpful. For example, it's a tragedy we didn't have a centralized strategy for the manufacturing and distribution of testing kits. Instead, different states had to compete with one another for access to testing kits and materials (cotton swabs, reagents, lab processing, etc.). This led to chaos and inefficiency, with middle men making obscene profits from price gouging, sometimes charging ten times market value prices.

If handled correctly, leadership from the Federal government would have been welcomed by the States. There's would have been no need to "coerce" the States into a plan where everyone benefits form cooperation.

In South Korea, they managed to distribute hundreds of thousands of tests at lightning speed, clamping down EARLY and preventing a major outbreak. Meanwhile, back here in the USA, on April 20th, the governor of Maryland ordered 500,000 testing kits from South Korea-- and then had to call in his own State Police to prevent the Feds from snatching away his stockpile! Unbelievable!

No coordination, no cooperation, no plan. The USA's response to Covid has been a complete clusterf**k of confusion and inefficiency.

The problem is not at all America's system of governance. The problem was a complete lack of leadership and planning.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Huh? Just because I'm saying "We could learn a thing or two from South Korea" in no way implies "let's ditch our system of governance."

The flexibility of the USA's system is outstanding. It allows for both competition and cooperation, depending on the problem that needs to be solved.

Since the pandemic affects all fifty states, a coordinated strategy would have been immensely helpful. For example, it's a tragedy we didn't have a centralized strategy for the manufacturing and distribution of testing kits. Instead, different states had to compete with one another for access to testing kits and materials (cotton swabs, reagents, lab processing, etc.). This led to chaos and inefficiency, with middle men making obscene profits from price gouging, sometimes charging ten times market value prices.

If handled correctly, leadership from the Federal government would have been welcomed by the States. There's would have been no need to "coerce" the States into a plan where everyone benefits form cooperation.

In South Korea, they managed to distribute hundreds of thousands of tests at lightning speed, clamping down EARLY and preventing a major outbreak. Meanwhile, back here in the USA, on April 20th, the governor of Maryland ordered 500,000 testing kits from South Korea-- and then had to call in his own State Police to prevent the Feds from snatching away his stockpile! Unbelievable!

No coordination, no cooperation, no plan. The USA's response to Covid has been a complete clusterf**k of confusion and inefficiency.

The problem is not at all America's system of governance. The problem was a complete lack of leadership and planning.

While I agree with a lot of what you are saying - the only issue is not the leadership and planning.

Americans do what the fuck they want and justify it however they want to.

It's what made our country great in the past - but it also has downfalls.

It's not just leadership. Can't blame it all on them.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There is no perfect way to handle this thing, so it's kinda useless to predict that if the U.S. had done things differently, we'd be in better shape now. There's no way to qualify that kind of statement. Spain, Ireland, France, and the UK are going back into COVID lockdowns due to spikes in cases. Were they just not wearing masks enough? Is their situation *our* President's fault too? Meanwhile, Sweden has a couple hundred cases a day while Spain has around 10K. Maybe we should have just done nothing from the start. Maybe we should have imposed Draconian measures and forced everyone inside (despite that being a vastly WORSE option). Or, maybe, it's just fucking nature and nature doesn't give a shit what you do. Because nature does what it wants.

Ellard80

Legend
One impossible issue is the world can't afford to shut down. There are mistakes being made and a lax attitude in many areas that could be better.

But lets say we go inside in a bunker.. everyone comes out and its gone. Then one person comes in from another country and bam it starts all over.

No matter what problems I might have with leaders handling it - I also realize it may be impossible to handle.

I'm not saying we can't do anything, but if anything we do will be enough is a big question.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

BS...You WANT to ditch our system of governance. You WANT to dump federalism. No, state governed by the opposing political parties will give the POTUS a win if they can at all help it. He provided everything they asked for and then after praising him for fulfilling what they asked briefly, they immediately go back to bashing him. Meanwhile, lets put Covid infected elderly folks back into the most vulnerable population possible, assited living facilities and nursing himes. Thanks Gov. Cuomo! Thanks Gov Whitmer! My freakin' God, WE WERE ESTIMATING 2.5MILLION DEAD and 200K have died. I am tired of this BS.
Keep talking at me, I'm done. MODS, if you want to give me a time out, that's fine, But shut this motherfucvker down. I am tired of the veiled politics and jousting that's been going on here.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
While I agree with a lot of what you are saying - the only issue is not the leadership and planning.

Americans do what the fuck they want and justify it however they want to.

It's what made our country great in the past - but it also has downfalls.

It's not just leadership. Can't blame it all on them.
Agreed, fair enough. Americans have a stubborn independent streak, for better and for worse.

But strong, intelligent leadership could have prevented many tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
OK.... The timeout is over.

I'm thanking everyone in advance for keeping this thread free from The Political Virus going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.