Colts Win, Draft implications?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
I am scared.

If Devaney is fired, the new GM may not like Bradford and take Luck if the Rams have the first overall pick.

That wouldn't fill any holes that need to be filled.
I don't think there is a chance in hell that at new GM wouldn't like Bradford once he evaluates him.

If you are a new GM, have the 1st overall pick. Luck is there.

New rookie cap. Who would you rather have? Bradford with his contract or Luck with his?

I think with the holes that the Rams, even with a new GM, even if he loves Luck, it would be irresponsible to take Luck and not trade down to fill as many holes as possible.
Who would trade for Bradford with that salary?

You don't think some team would trade for him with that salary?

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Vikings won. Meaning that the Rams have to win next week to not be drafting in the Top 2. If the Colts win next week and the Rams don't, they're picking #1... If both the Rams and the Colts lose the Rams draft #2.. If the Rams and the Colts both win, (and the Vikings lose) the Rams draft #3...

Interesting now, if the Rams are drafting #1, I think they will trade the pick.

If the Rams are drafting #2, I think they will select Matt Kalil..

If the Rams are drafting #3, I think they trade down for whoever makes the best offer so they can get RG3..

Of course those are just my opinions, we'll see what happens.

Exactly what I'm thinking, although I'd rather trade the #2 pick if other teams are bidding. Gosh April will be fun on ROD.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
I am scared.

If Devaney is fired, the new GM may not like Bradford and take Luck if the Rams have the first overall pick.

I don't think there is a chance in hell that at new GM wouldn't like Bradford once he evaluates him.

New rookie cap. Who would you rather have? Bradford with his contract or Luck with his?

I think with the holes that the Rams, even with a new GM, even if he loves Luck, it would be irresponsible to take Luck and not trade down to fill as many holes as possible.

Well, it's a possibility I guess. I know there is someone out there that would love to have him. But it's a lot of money with the new cap and what another young QB would cost. If he was well established, it might be different.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
I am scared.

Well, it's a possibility I guess. I know there is someone out there that would love to have him. But it's a lot of money with the new cap and what another young QB would cost. If he was well established, it might be different.

Well looking at how desperate a team like the Cardinals were for Kevin Kolb (and giving him a new contract), and the Raiders with Palmer, someone will want Bradford. This is just amazing, we could be looking at Bradford on the trade block and Peyton freaking Manning a FA in this upcoming offseason.

If we end up with the #1 pick I think the Browns are our best trade partner because of all the picks they have and I dont think they will stick with McCoy as the starter.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes, a team like the Cards is a good example, but how did that work out for them? An insider like Shurmer would have a very good grasp of what Sam is and what he may do, but other teams wouldn't have that insight. A GM coming in would find out everything he needed about Sam, and unless he really covets a scrambling super mobile guy like RG3, I don't think he'd trade Bradford.

Sam Bradford QB base $405,000 2011 cap # $22,179,000.

This is what I found, but I've seen different numbers also. Anyone want to confirm or deny these numbers.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
Yes, a team like the Cards is a good example, but how did that work out for them? An insider like Shurmer would have a very good grasp of what Sam is and what he may do, but other teams wouldn't have that insight. A GM coming in would find out everything he needed about Sam, and unless he really covets a scrambling super mobile guy like RG3, I don't think he'd trade Bradford.

Plus, didnt Holmgren wanna trade up with us to get Bradford?

bluecoconuts

Legend
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

It was either them or Washington I think... Maybe both, I don't remember.

But all that doesn't matter, because Bradford is our guy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

I agree, I couldn't be more shocked if we even shopped Bradford, doesn't make sense to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

Yeah, he did. He was gonna forfeit his draft or something like that. And then he told Devaney, after he was turned down, that he wouldn't trade either if it was him in that situation.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
This is the thing about Bradford trade talk that makes me ... well, laugh.

Before last season, many of us were worried about breaking in a rookie QB behind an untested Oline. Making allowances for that rookie was expected. Well, we got through it pretty good, getting 6 more wins than the previous year. Now some people are talking about doing it again, just TWO years later?

Can you imagine the hindsighters if we trade Bradford and he's as good as we expect him to be? Just speculating about it gets me fired up. Forget about how good Luck might be, the grass is always greener as far as fans are concerned, and you can't please everyone.

Stay the course, be patient, bird in the hand, yada yada.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Vikings won. Meaning that the Rams have to win next week to not be drafting in the Top 2. If the Colts win next week and the Rams don't, they're picking #1... If both the Rams and the Colts lose the Rams draft #2.. If the Rams and the Colts both win, (and the Vikings lose) the Rams draft #3...

Interesting now, if the Rams are drafting #1, I think they will trade the pick.

If the Rams are drafting #2, I think they will select Matt Kalil..

If the Rams are drafting #3, I think they trade down for whoever makes the best offer so they can get RG3..

Of course those are just my opinions, we'll see what happens.

I think right now a trade down is imminent no matter where the Rams pick. W/ Barkley going back, RG3 and Landry Jones become more valuable.

But things can change w/ pro days and combine and all the other games like the Senior Bowl, Shrine Game, etc.

I think Kalil is worth the #2 overall pick at this time. Of course things can change, but depending on what the return is, it might be better to stay at 2 and grab Kalil. There's a good amount of talent in this draft class, even if the Rams don't trade back they can really improve their team. Kalil has the potential to be a player that can improve 3 positions (LT, RT, LG if Smith stays and moves there) which to me would be more worth it than trading down... Of course that is thinking best scenario.

Yeah but the extra pick could be used as ammo to trade back into the 1st...2 1st round picks.

Although, if Kalil has a great Feb-April...I'd be inclined to take it. That is assuming we get WR help in FA.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

If both Washington and/or Cleveland wanted to trade up for him, and even Pittsburgh offered Roethlisberger for the #1 pick so they can take Bradford, doesn't that say something about Sam Bradford???

Sam isn't going anywhere. You just don't "give up" on a QB considering all the shit that happened to and around him.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Would most of us agree as of now Amendola, Pettis, Salas are locks for next season? The next 6 months or so could be franchise changing either in the right direction or back to reverse. I simply cannot see the curent staff (if retained) or a new one letting both Pettis and Salas go. I'm cool with both, and never expected either to perform up to the level of A.J Green, or Julio Jones. DX will have his fair shot as well. My main concern is Brandon Lloyd and it sunk it against the Niners when he covered his head w/ a towel on the sideline w/ head down...

I also have that hunch the Browns are a prime example of a team who could be in a position and offer proper compensation to us in exchange for that valued pick. It sounds funny but I just think all of the hype over Suck for Luck/Colts is going to smash back to the media. The Colts will edge the Jaguars next week, Vikings will get by the Bears and if not we have a buffer. I do not see us in any situation grabbing a win on the Niners.

My fallacy dream would be to have the #1 pick, trade w/ CLE and select Morris Claibourne, in addition... grab Nick Perry/OLB-USC with our 2nd round and w/ the Browns 2nd rd pick the DT from Boise State Billy Winn. At least that would be the start and again would alter if Brandon Llyod is not retained, to me this is priority #1 but therein lies of what our owner decides... Spags further developing the D w/ Flajole and McDaniels w/ Bradford, Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, Kendricks as a very generic blueprint w/ DX still on the side. Or a complete rebuild retaining a select few i.e. Salas over Pettis, Lloyd goes elsewhere.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
People talk about Bradford as being unproven... He's more proven than Luck. He is our guy. How long have the Rams wanted "A Guy"? We have one. WE HAVE ONE. We do NOT need a QB. Pretty much everything else? Yes. But NOT a QB. If anyone blows this team up and gets rid of Number 8, we are in for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong rebuild. And this one has been long enough.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ram Quixote said:

Before last season, many of us were worried about breaking in a rookie QB behind an untested Oline. Making allowances for that rookie was expected. Well, we got through it pretty good, getting 6 more wins than the previous year. Now some people are talking about doing it again, just TWO years later?

Can you imagine the hindsighters if we trade Bradford and he's as good as we expect him to be? Just speculating about it gets me fired up. Forget about how good Luck might be, the grass is always greener as far as fans are concerned, and you can't please everyone.

But thats the big problem due to young QBs performing well recently. Gabbert has been awful in Jacksonville, and I bet theres some people hoping they have a shot at RG III or drafting some other QB early in next years draft. Theres little patience for DEVELOPING a QB. People quickly forget that players like Sanchez, Freeman, and Stafford were terrible their rookie years. They are too focused on Tebow winning, Newton breaking records, and Dalton playing well. The rookie cap can also really change things. Teams arent dishing out as much money to QBs, so teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota can be more tempted to give up on their rookie QBs and just draft another one. Of course I could end up being wrong on this but I think this is the direction the NFL is headed in.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
JdashSTL said:
Ram Quixote said:

But thats the big problem due to young QBs performing well recently. Gabbert has been awful in Jacksonville, and I bet theres some people hoping they have a shot at RG III or drafting some other QB early in next years draft. Theres little patience for DEVELOPING a QB. People quickly forget that players like Sanchez, Freeman, and Stafford were terrible their rookie years. They are too focused on Tebow winning, Newton breaking records, and Dalton playing well. The rookie cap can also really change things. Teams arent dishing out as much money to QBs, so teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota can be more tempted to give up on their rookie QBs and just draft another one. Of course I could end up being wrong on this but I think this is the direction the NFL is headed in.
There's no doubt the public doesn't have patience for developing QBs, but for those teams that gave up on QBs that went on to stardom (Young, Plunkett, insert forgotten names here), the could-have-beens are tragic. The NFL is littered with examples of players deemed expendable by regime changes, and other teams that have picked up the cast-offs and made them valuable.

The rookie cap does change the economics of young QBs, but not the aspect of what-ifs that dog the decision makers.