Camp Report - 8/21/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

V3 said:
Brian Quick (looks like the light has finally come on) with Kudos to Torry Holt, ever since he was in camp B. Quick has been noticeably improved, especially with the physical aspect, using his size and strength

That really popped out to me. That makes me wonder what our WR's coach is doing. It took someone other than the WR coach to get Quick to start to understand how to play? I don't like hearing that.

Yea but you can't just look at Quick and assume he's not that effective at coaching.... look at Given's growth..

But dude it's Tory Holt - lol who do you think a quarterback is going to learn more from: A Great QB coach or Peyton Manning? Someone who has mastered their craft, like Tory did..

EastRam

Pro Bowler
iced said:
V3 said:
Brian Quick (looks like the light has finally come on) with Kudos to Torry Holt, ever since he was in camp B. Quick has been noticeably improved, especially with the physical aspect, using his size and strength

That really popped out to me. That makes me wonder what our WR's coach is doing. It took someone other than the WR coach to get Quick to start to understand how to play? I don't like hearing that.

Yea but you can't just look at Quick and assume he's not that effective at coaching.... look at Given's growth..

[hilite]But dude it's Tory Holt - lol who do you think a quarterback is going to learn more from: A Great QB coach or Peyton Manning?[/hilite]Someone who has mastered their craft, like Tory did..

A great QB coach. If great players were the best teachers all coachs in all sports would be former great players.

Just Sayin

Memphis Ram

Legend
EastRam said:
iced said:
V3 said:

[hilite]But dude it's Tory Holt - lol who do you think a quarterback is going to learn more from: A Great QB coach or Peyton Manning?[/hilite]Someone who has mastered their craft, like Tory did..

A great QB coach. If great players were the best teachers all coachs in all sports would be former great players.

Just Sayin

Depends upon the player and the coach.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Thanks for the reports Coach. I watch for them and really appreciate hearing news of the team and practices from someone seeing them first-hand.

Also appreciate that you are able to keep it real despite your obvious enthusiasm for the team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO, excellent last report. Thank you.

Jason Brodine (looks like Conrath’s little brother; the similarities in their game is remarkable, he is what Conrath was a year ago physically, shows very good instincts playing inside)

In reading your reports and watching the players, it is pretty obvious that we see people very similar. For instance, you could have plucked this right out of my brain. I hope we will be able to keep him on our PS, because he will probably be like Conrath next year with hard work, and our program.

Hall has really shown up in both preseason games, will probably end up on our PS too, but he could be stolen before he gets there if a team is desperate enough.

One more comment from me regarding the team, Dunbar really screwed us over by, in Fisher's words, being selfish. I think we have some young talent there, but I don't think they are ready, so I will cross my fingers.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:

Mason Brodine (looks like Conrath’s little brother; the similarities in their game is remarkable, he is what Conrath was a year ago physically, shows very good instincts playing inside)

In reading your reports and watching the players, it is pretty obvious that we see people very similar. For instance, you could have plucked this right out of my brain. I hope we will be able to keep him on our PS, because he will probably be like Conrath next year with hard work, and our program.

Hall has really shown up in both preseason games, will probably end up on our PS too, but he could be stolen before he gets there if a team is desperate enough.

One more comment from me regarding the team, Dunbar really screwed us over by, in Fisher's words, being selfish. I think we have some young talent there, but I don't think they are ready, so I will cross my fingers.

I agree with you, on these guys being plucked from the PS.

I would not be surprised to see Brodine make the initial 53. They keep saying they anticipate Cudjo to be ready for opening day, but seeing him STILL not doing anything , including walk thru's or any unit drills, I seriously doubt he will be. Brodine makes sense at least until they know for sure.

Yeah, Dunbar really left a huge hole in the LB corp. When you think about it, if something were to happen to Witherspoon in the first month, we are looking at STARTING TWO ROOKIES at OLB, one of which will undoubtedly be an UDFA.

Can you say WAIVER WIRE? and the tragic part about that, is it will most likely cost one of the younger players at another position a shot at sticking on the roster.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

Mason Brodine (looks like Conrath’s little brother; the similarities in their game is remarkable, he is what Conrath was a year ago physically, shows very good instincts playing inside)

I would not be surprised to see Brodine make the initial 53. They keep saying they anticipate Cudjo to be ready for opening day, but seeing him STILL not doing anything , including walk thru's or any unit drills, I seriously doubt he will be. Brodine makes sense at least until they know for sure.

Yeah, Dunbar really left a huge hole in the LB corp. When you think about it, if something were to happen to Witherspoon in the first month, we are looking at STARTING TWO ROOKIES at OLB, one of which will undoubtedly be an UDFA.

Can you say WAIVER WIRE? and the tragic part about that, is it will most likely cost one of the younger players at another position a shot at sticking on the roster.

Yes, much like losing some of our youth a few years ago.

I haven't tried to crack the 54 yet, I like to watch all the preseason first, but both those guys just seem like they will caught in a numbers game, but hey, that's a testament to Snead and Fisher's roster overhaul over a couple of years, and my goodness, the UDFA's they brought in this year are ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brodine get the opportunity that Rivers was afforded last week. Rivers made the most out of that opportunity, but it will be rough for even him to make it, although if he plays light out the next two games, there's no way he won't. He has the size/speed combo to be a special core ST player, IMO.

BTW, how have Jones and Barnes looked at Guard?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

Hey man I'm not sure if you caught it or not but it came up that you should be on the audios. It would be pretty sweet to hear someone that is at camp talk about what they are seeing and it would allow you to put out a ton more info in way less time than typing it.

Thoughts?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

I haven't tried to crack the 54 yet, I like to watch all the preseason first, but both those guys just seem like they will caught in a numbers game, but hey, that's a testament to Snead and Fisher's roster overhaul over a couple of years, and my goodness, the UDFA's they brought in this year are ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind seeing Brodine get the opportunity that Rivers was afforded last week. Rivers made the most out of that opportunity, but it will be rough for even him to make it, although if he plays light out the next two games, there's no way he won't. He has the size/speed combo to be a special core ST player, IMO.

The ironic thing about Rivers, he really hasn't been on any of the top 2 units on Special Teams. I think he is earmarked for the Practice Squad. As much as he has shown up, he could just be the victim of a numbers game at DE.

This past week, they have been giving Jones the reps at Guard. Barnes has been focusing on Center. Monday, they gave Wells a "vets day off", which means Barnes took all the 1st team reps.

And to be blunt, Jones is a pathetic practice player. He gets man handled in ONE on ONE drills by the likes of Garrett Goebel, and not just every once in a while. He looks slow and sluggish off the ball, and not physical enough to hold up.

But seeing him in the preseason games, he looks like he's right at home.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

[hilite]The ironic thing about Rivers, he really hasn't been on any of the top 2 units on Special Teams. I think he is earmarked for the Practice Squad. As much as he has shown up, he could just be the victim of a numbers game at DE.[/hilite]

This past week, they have been giving Jones the reps at Guard. Barnes has been focusing on Center. Monday, they gave Wells a "vets day off", which means Barnes took all the 1st team reps.

And to be blunt, Jones is a pathetic practice player. He gets man handled in ONE on ONE drills by the likes of Garrett Goebel, and not just every once in a while. He looks slow and sluggish off the ball, and not physical enough to hold up.

You know, that's crazy, let's see if that changes the next couple of games, see if he gets worked in.

If they earmarked him to be on the PS, I sure wish they wouldn't have showcased him like that. He won't make it to the PS, but he doesn't make the team either unless he plays on most of the ST's. Numbers game, yes, along with the most that I can remember in recent Rams years. You can't really keep 5 DE's, and they are ALL pretty good. I was super impressed at how well he played the run for his weight, but he is #5, unless maybe we trade Sims for a backup OT....

That's funny about Jones, I wouldn't have expected that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

[hilite]The ironic thing about Rivers, he really hasn't been on any of the top 2 units on Special Teams. I think he is earmarked for the Practice Squad. As much as he has shown up, he could just be the victim of a numbers game at DE.[/hilite]

You know, that's crazy, let's see if that changes the next couple of games, see if he gets worked in.

If they earmarked him to be on the PS, I sure wish they wouldn't have showcased him like that. He won't make it to the PS, but he doesn't make the team either unless he plays on most of the ST's. Numbers game, yes, along with the most that I can remember in recent Rams years. You can't really keep 5 DE's, and they are ALL pretty good. I was super impressed at how well he played the run for his weight, but he is #5, unless maybe we trade Sims for a backup OT....

Well, for the first time since I have been "visiting" Training Camp, they have brought in players that have a real shot at playing in this league. There are no less than 65 guys still here who conceivably battle for a roster spot. Which tells me that there are going to be at least 4 or 5 guys cut loose that WILL play somewhere.

It's funny you mention Sims, as THE GUY that Rivers is now competing with. On a couple of fronts. First and foremost, it is only due to a tragedy in Sim's life, (the death of his mother) that allowed Rivers to get the exposure last week in the first place.

The other thing of note for me, is how vital SIMS is as a CORE Special Teams player. The very thing that could help Rivers make the team, might be the saving grace for Sims.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:

Well, for the first time since I have been "visiting" Training Camp, they have brought in players that have a real shot at playing in this league. There are no less than 65 guys still here who conceivably battle for a roster spot. Which tells me that there are going to be at least 4 or 5 guys cut loose that WILL play somewhere.

It's funny you mention Sims, as THE GUY that Rivers is now competing with. On a couple of fronts. First and foremost, it is only due to a tragedy in Sim's life, (the death of his mother) that allowed Rivers to get the exposure last week in the first place.

The other thing of note for me, is how vital SIMS is as a CORE Special Teams player. The very thing that could help Rivers make the team, might be the saving grace for Sims.
Sims, as you know, is talented, and in the limited time that I got my eyeballs on him this season, he is definitely thicker, but the thing that I think he has finally solved that can help him to become a better than average backup end, is that he is, for the first time in his career, playing with balance, and not OC. This is Sims year, and may be his ceiling, but I don't think the Rams have seen it yet, so do they pay to see it, or watch from the cheap seats.

Question is, can Rivers contribute this year if needed, and what is his ceiling? I think it is higher than Sims.

This will be one spot that I watch with fascination.

Any-who, fun convo with you.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Sims, as you know, is talented, and in the limited time that I got my eyeballs on him this season, he is definitely thicker, but the thing that I think he has finally solved that can help him to become a better than average backup end, is that he is, for the first time in his career, playing with balance, and not OC. This is Sims year, and may be his ceiling, but I don't think the Rams have seen it yet, so do they pay to see it, or watch from the cheap seats.

Question is, can Rivers contribute this year if needed, and what is his ceiling? I think it is higher than Sims.

This will be one spot that I watch with fascination.

Any-who, fun convo with you.

I noticed a difference in Sims' demeanor last year. From the first day of camp last year, he just had that look about him as if he finally realized he "belonged" here. This year, it was even more apparent. It was more like "not only do I belong here, but watch this" attitude to him.

He has gotten bigger every year he has been here, and he just plays with a confidence now, that its been fun to watch him grow as a player.

So, yes, it will be fun to see what happens, but it would shock me if they risk losing Sims. With Hayes, you just don't know how much longer he can play at the level he played at last year. In a perfect world, Rivers makes it to the PS, Sims plays like I think he will, and we are protected if Hayes says adios NEXT year.

Calling it a night,, thanks for the conversation. this was fun!!!

iced

EastRam said:
iced said:
V3 said:

Just Sayin

some coaches are good at teaching techniques - but that's not the same when you have a player who makes the Hall of Fame because they mastered their craft.

Holt teaching quick for a couple days is the same as Deon Sanders teaching a corner or LT teaching defensive end. It's invaluable, actual on the field experience that coaches don't have.

Coaches are important, but a HOF player's experience is worth more imo...