Blackmon's Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
We have two Reps there, Sherman included. Browns have a whole convoy including Shurmer. They are there for Blcakmon and Weeden.

Blackmon posted a 35' vertical.

He also helped himself running 2 sub 4.5s. Times arnt official yet. One scout had him at a 4.41 and a 4.46.

OSU is a notoriously fast track. I have heard teams typically tack on .08-.1 seconds to make it comparable to Indy. Nonetheless those times are impressive. I didnt think he'd clock that fast so he jumped up my board a bit. Still not sure he's a top 5 talent.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A little more commentary:

PFT:
ESPN’s Josina Anderson is live in Stillwater for Friday’s Oklahoma State Pro Day. Wide receiver Justin Blackmon finished running two forty-yard dashes just minutes ago.

According to Anderson, Blackmon was clocked in the 4.45-4.50 range on his first forty attempt. His second run brought better results, with Blackmon timing between 4.41 and 4.46.

The forty times are impressive for Blackmon on paper, though it should be noted Oklahoma State has a notoriously fast track and NFL teams will adjust accordingly. As much as a full tenth of a second could be tacked onto Blackmon’s Pro Day time.

Other results from Blackmon’s Pro Day included a 35-inch vertical and a 10-foot, 4-inch broad jump, according to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline.

Blackmon stood on his 14 bench press reps from the Combine.

Josh Norris
I REALLY like Blackmon, please don't say I don't. I just don't like him as much as others do. 18th player overall for me. Quality starter.

Softli:
Three NFL scouts confirm WR Justin Blackmon ran in the low 4.4's (4.45, 4.44,4.43). Fast enough!!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
That's plenty fast for me and I'm already a big fan. I still hope we can trade down, get the extra pick(S) and still grab him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would have been extremely happy if he would have run in the low 4.5's. Nobody has a college resume like this kid...nobody. Low 4.4's just shot him up a lot of boards. Good for him, and maybe good for us.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
This might have been enough to ensure him being the 1st WR off the board. He needed this, especially after the issues at the combine, not doing the 40, listing an injury, and doing the other drills.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

4.46 is the official time for blackmon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

About what I expected. And.... that's plenty. Issac Bruce ran a 4.47, and once he got separation, you weren't catching him. Same with Blackmon. So he doesn't have Kevin Curtis or Donnie Avery straight-away speed. And? What did that do for those two individuals? How successful was Jerry Rice's pro career, and his 4.7 40? For a receiver in a ball-control offense, I would think that hip fluidity, blocking, and ability to catch in traffic would be more important than his 40 time.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

About what I expected. And.... that's plenty. Issac Bruce ran a 4.47, and once he got separation, you weren't catching him. Same with Blackmon. So he doesn't have Kevin Curtis or Donnie Avery straight-away speed. And? What did that do for those two individuals? How successful was Jerry Rice's pro career, and his 4.7 40? For a receiver in a ball-control offense, I would think that hip fluidity, blocking, and ability to catch in traffic would be more important than his 40 time.
Not sure if the Rams have already ruled him out, not totally I'm sure, but they are looking at a lot of late second early third round guys, and all of them they are checking out have long speed. Makes me happy, because that's what we need more than anything, a zone buster.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

Not sure if the Rams have already ruled him out, not totally I'm sure, but they are looking at a lot of late second early third round guys, and all of them they are checking out have long speed. Makes me happy, because that's what we need more than anything, a zone buster.
Think Salas and/or Pettis will progress this year under the tutelage of Schottenhimer? Those two guys are getting lost in all this discussion about Blackmon/Floyd/Sanu, etc. I know neither is extremely fast (both ran 4.5's), but they're big dudes with (allegedly) great hands. If it's a zone buster they want, then they should just go ahead and draft Stephen Hill, or find some guy late in the draft who blazed a 40 and pick him up. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not that enamored with fast guys who don't make a difference. I'm kinda jaded now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
Jim Thomas ‏ @jthom1

Think Salas and/or Pettis will progress this year under the tutelage of Schottenhimer? Those two guys are getting lost in all this discussion about Blackmon/Floyd/Sanu, etc. I know neither is extremely fast (both ran 4.5's), but they're big dudes with (allegedly) great hands. If it's a zone buster they want, then they should just go ahead and draft Stephen Hill, or find some guy late in the draft who blazed a 40 and pick him up. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not that enamored with fast guys who don't make a difference. I'm kinda jaded now.
They need a fast guy with LONG speed, which is different than just speed guys, that's what they are looking at and what they need. The difference for guys who don't know is that a Donnie Avery for instance may run a low 4.3, and Reuben Randle or Aj Green may run a 4.5, but once they are running at full speed, the long speed guys can run right by people in the secondary...their top speed is faster, which is why it's funny that some of the NFL combine commentators were perplexed at the MPH measurement. It means something.

Avery could run by someone at 5 - 10 yards and had that good quickness, but it was rare that you saw him running by someone deep downfield. The long striders, even Wallace at Pittsburgh, although 5 -11 is a long strider and has a high top speed. Jerry Rice had long speed, which is why his 40 time was never an issue. There's great value in these guys because they change the way the defense has to play, even if they don't catch a ball. It puts the safeties in a deeper and faster back pedal and open up the field of play, and if they bite at all in play action, they will never catch these guys.

I think Pettis has decent long speed, but not great. Salas doesn't have it. I don't think they are the answer in that area, Salas is a slot player and Pettis can be a good possession/red zone guy if he continues to develop. I had no problem with either of their developments last year. Different QB's, system, injuries, overall they played pretty decent as rookies in my opinion.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Agree w/ that. Also, someone refresh my memory. Is he trying out for pro football or a track team?
What I see him do on the field is good enough for me. Could care less about his track times.

GO RAMS!!!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pettis will probably really have to impress in camp and preseason given his suspension (which I still think is bs) for the first few games... I would like to see him develop though he showed flashes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
They need a fast guy with LONG speed, which is different than just speed guys, that's what they are looking at and what they need. The difference for guys who don't know is that a Donnie Avery for instance may run a low 4.3, and Reuben Randle or Aj Green may run a 4.5, but once they are running at full speed, the long speed guys can run right by people in the secondary...their top speed is faster, which is why it's funny that some of the NFL combine commentators were perplexed at the MPH measurement. It means something.

Avery could run by someone at 5 - 10 yards and had that good quickness, but it was rare that you saw him running by someone deep downfield. The long striders, even Wallace at Pittsburgh, although 5 -11 is a long strider and has a high top speed. Jerry Rice had long speed, which is why his 40 time was never an issue. There's great value in these guys because they change the way the defense has to play, even if they don't catch a ball. It puts the safeties in a deeper and faster back pedal and open up the field of play, and if they bite at all in play action, they will never catch these guys.

I think Pettis has decent long speed, but not great. Salas doesn't have it. I don't think they are the answer in that area, Salas is a slot player and Pettis can be a good possession/red zone guy if he continues to develop. I had no problem with either of their developments last year. Different QB's, system, injuries, overall they played pretty decent as rookies in my opinion.
Good points about long speed. Yeah, Donnie Avery could gobble up cushion in a hurry (he ran 4.2's, btw). But he didn't have fluid hips, and he tended to round off his routes too much. Can't recall if he was any good at beating the jam either. But man was he fast. It may have been rare, but if he got an angle on a defender, he was going to go right by the guy - uncontested. I made a YouTube compilation of his highlights, and the NFL crew broke him down once - it was pretty cool. However, the NFL must have REALLY not wanted any Avery highlights out there, because YouTube took that video down in a day.

So who's the guy (WR) you covet most in the draft this year?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im still shocked that Avery did absolutely nothing in Tennessee. Maybe he never did fully regain his speed or just has issues learning a new system.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
DR RAM said:

Good points about long speed. Yeah, Donnie Avery could gobble up cushion in a hurry (he ran 4.2's, btw). But he didn't have fluid hips, and he tended to round off his routes too much. Can't recall if he was any good at beating the jam either. But man was he fast. It may have been rare, but if he got an angle on a defender, he was going to go right by the guy - uncontested. I made a YouTube compilation of his highlights, and the NFL crew broke him down once - it was pretty cool. However, the NFL must have REALLY not wanted any Avery highlights out there, because YouTube took that video down in a day.

Good points by both of you guys. IMO Salas showed more potential than Pettis did last year, although he is a slot guy. He wont beat anyone deep.

Dr I wanna know what you think about this years WRs too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:

Yes, I should have added the release. Avery was never played at the right position IMO. I am a big Blackmon fan, been watching him a couple years and he has insane tape and production over a number of years. Floyd impressed me at the combine, looked quicker there than I saw on tape, and he had great numbers. I think Hill as far as what he be asked to do would be a good pick if not too high. Even though his production was low, he has everything you want, hands, speed, height, would like him to be a little thicker, but those GT guys have transitioned well to the NFL. Reuben Randle is very intriguing to me he always seemed to be behind the defense. Streeter, M. Jones, Childs, all seem to fit what I am looking for them to get. I'm sure I missed a few. This class is pretty deep in my opinion.

There are other guys I like, but these guys, I would consider zone breakers.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yes, I should have added the release. Avery was never played at the right position IMO. I am a big Blackmon fan, been watching him a couple years and he has insane tape and production over a number of years. Floyd impressed me at the combine, looked quicker there than I saw on tape, and he had great numbers. I think Hill as far as what he be asked to do would be a good pick if not too high. Even though his production was low, he has everything you want, hands, speed, height, would like him to be a little thicker, but those GT guys have transitioned well to the NFL. Reuben Randle is very intriguing to me he always seemed to be behind the defense. Streeter, M. Jones, Childs, all seem to fit what I am looking for them to get. I'm sure I missed a few. This class is pretty deep in my opinion.

Is Blackmon a top 5 talent in your opinion?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

He would be my number 1 receive in this class. Top 10, but I have to be honest, I don't think he is a super long speed guy, but he would be the best receiver on our team, or at least, if Lloyd is retained, very close to him at day one. I think Boldin is a very close comparison. I am starting to think that Claiborne is our guy at #4 or #6, and Blackmon might not even be available.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

He would be my number 1 receive in this class. Top 10, but I have to be honest, I don't think he is a super long speed guy, but he would be the best receiver on our team, or at least, if Lloyd is retained, very close to him at day one. I think Boldin is a very close comparison. I am starting to think that Claiborne is our guy at #4 or #6, and Blackmon might not even be available.

You and I agree then, although I think Floyd may have a higher upside. I have heard the Boldin comparisons thrown around regarding Blackmon. IMO they are pretty spot on, but Blackmon may have a better catch radius. I dont see the Fitz comparisons I have heard tho.

Like you said this is an extremely deep WR class. Knowing that I would be less apt to "reach" for a Blackmon/Floyd at 2/4/6 when a Hill might be there at 22/33. The gap isnt huge IMO.

Im warming to Claiborne as well, saw a mock out today(by one of the NFL net guys, not Mayock) with us picking Richardson over Claiborne at 6. Thought that was interesting, especially since Richardson did nothing at the Combine or Pro Day.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

You and I agree then, although I think Floyd may have a higher upside. I have heard the Boldin comparisons thrown around regarding Blackmon. IMO they are pretty spot on, but Blackmon may have a better catch radius. I dont see the Fitz comparisons I have heard tho.

Like you said this is an extremely deep WR class. Knowing that I would be less apt to "reach" for a Blackmon/Floyd at 2/4/6 when a Hill might be there at 22/33. The gap isnt huge IMO.

Im warming to Claiborne as well, saw a mock out today(by one of the NFL net guys, not Mayock) with us picking Richardson over Claiborne at 6. Thought that was interesting, especially since Richardson did nothing at the Combine or Pro Day.

I think Richardson is a top 5 talent, but best value in regards to depth???? I really like some of the other RB's, Wilson and Martin in particular for 3 downers, and there are a lot of 3rd down/change of pace guys that I like, and a couple of sleepers.

Not a ton of corner depth, which I wouldn't be huge on if we KEEP Bartell, or sign a FA.

If we do the inevitable and trade down, then we have to draft for value. If we do that, we could end up with 3 blue chippers in THIS draft.