Anyone know about TV’s?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. My old Zenith, and another CRT I used in college would be on my side.

I fail to see how that's a negative.

Exactly, and you get a better quality set each time.

Nope, they make em better.

Better set? Depends on what brand you buy.

Flat screens are "prettier" for sure than a CRT.

But speaking from an industry that depends on hundreds of flat screens and previously CRTs
CRTs vastly out perform flat screens from a longevity stand point and repair cost ability.

Do I like flat screens better? Of course. They are pretty. But they are not built to be repaired.

If there was an industry standard for production of flat screens then repairing would be much simpler. As it is now the components change as often as football season.

We just see it different is all

…..

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Dog have you called a TV repair service to come look at it yet?
No I’m too stingy and worried about paying someone to tell me I need a new TV. Would be like insult to injury for me. That’s why I need you guys. To save me money.

But before I do that, I’d look up the troubleshooting guide. Even though I don’t have a warranty, I am registered with Samsung and do have Samsung support. Just been busy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No I’m too stingy and worried about paying someone to tell me I need a new TV. Would be like insult to injury for me. That’s why I need you guys. To save me money.

But before I do that, I’d look up the troubleshooting guide. Even though I don’t have a warranty, I am registered with Samsung and do have Samsung support. Just been busy.

I'd call someone to take a look it'll cost very littel

oldnotdead

Legend
It looks like it's internal bracing that gives the screen it's curved shape. Flat panels aren't made to be curved. It's like the bracing has shorted out the pixels in front of it. I have some friends with curved TV's and all of them have had problems and all have gone back to flat panels. The reason it looks this way to me is the thin strip of leds all the way down and the bottom.

Old guys says, newer is not always better. Like in the old days with Windows, I always waited until the second service pack came out fixing all the bugs before I upgraded my OS and that way I avoided a whole lot of dead ends. Flat panels are not made to be repaired. Cheaper to buy a new one.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Flat screens are "prettier" for sure than a CRT.

They are not just prettier, they are so much better. Lightweight, less space, and as I mentioned before, in the chance it does crap out, you get a better, newer set for basically the cost of repair. I fail to see how that is a problem.

But speaking from an industry that depends on hundreds of flat screens and previously CRTs
CRTs vastly out perform flat screens from a longevity stand point and repair cost ability.

See, no one goes to the store and thinks about that. And technology is constantly evolving and making older tech obsolete. Sure, you can take apart a CRT and change out a tube, but will you able to use it? Most people wouldn't even bother with that. Fuck, just buy a new, better sight.

Do I like flat screens better? Of course. They are pretty. But they are not built to be repaired.

Again, it's rare to find a person that thinks like that. Go to your local store and ask 100 people what they look for when buying a new tv in 2019/2020. People care about picture quality and cost; not so much able to repair it.

If there was an industry standard for production of flat screens then repairing would be much simpler. As it is now the components change as often as football season.

Yup, technology evolves. Nothing wrong with that.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
They are not just prettier, they are so much better. Lightweight, less space, and as I mentioned before, in the chance it does crap out, you get a better, newer set for basically the cost of repair. I fail to see how that is a problem.

See, no one goes to the store and thinks about that. And technology is constantly evolving and making older tech obsolete. Sure, you can take apart a CRT and change out a tube, but will you able to use it? Most people wouldn't even bother with that. Fuck, just buy a new, better sight.

Again, it's rare to find a person that thinks like that. Go to your local store and ask 100 people what they look for when buying a new tv in 2019/2020. People care about picture quality and cost; not so much able to repair it.

Yup, technology evolves. Nothing wrong with that.

Your debating yourself.

Flat screens not bad.

They just don't last as long and not built as well was the point.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Cost of repair is elevated because the flat screen TVs are not DESIGNED for repairs. That is a problem because they are not as reliable so you basically have to keep buying a TV.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Your debating yourself.

Flat screens not bad.

They just don't last as long and not built as well was the point.

My point is that it's not a negative.

Cost of repair is elevated because the flat screen TVs are not DESIGNED for repairs. That is a problem because they are not as reliable so you basically have to keep buying a TV.

I disagree with the reliability statement, as I already described 2 old CRTs vs. my first 2 flatscreens.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I disagree with the reliability statement, as I already described 2 old CRTs vs. my first 2 flatscreens.
I don't know the brands of CRTs you had but I've always bought quality (Zenith prior to the '90s, Sony 2003) and picked up other Zeniths and Sonys much older and all work to this day. I hope for the same with my Sony Bravia flat screen going on its 6th year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Years ago I did a search on Bing on how to fix my old Samsung tv. It took progressively longer to turn on. People were saying they had a repairman fix it and it cost $500. Then I found a site where a repairman showed how to repair the problem. It cost me $6 and took an hour from start to finish. I just had to open it up, do some shouldering to replace some little pieces and then close it up.

Maybe you should look it up and you will get lucky.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
This video goes into a detailed look at Planned obsolescence (product life-cycle in product engineering and product management), its impact on the environment, and enslavement of consumers through fear of loss of jobs, and functional coercion to buy a new model as the current one stops working (usually about the time you are done paying on it). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_...

View: https://youtu.be/vrMfq5tep5M