Any TV geeks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
09e6cb337791fab78da0c053cf5e5624.gif

We have a couple Hisense TV's

Got them primarily because of their ROKU operating system

they look pretty good to me , although , I couldn't tell you the difference between DLP , LCD , OLED , QLED , I have no clue , I do know that one of them has better viewing from the sides , but no clue which one that is

I don't even know what models I have , movies look real good , sports look real good , so , I'm cool...................lol

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I sell TV's and the best looking picture to me is the LG OLED. I've had them all lined up. The truest blacks were in Plasma TVs and since those are the things or the past, the new top end models really bring it close. You can't really go wrong with any of them. For me, it would come down to what apps are available on the TV.

The LG doesn't have HBO Max...that bothers me

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
DLP has the speed down. Right now people are wanting 240hrtz and up and with DLPs, they didn't even register that way. So, when ur watching football or baseball, on 60hrtz tvs you may see a slight blur behind the ball as it moves quickly. On DLP, that was never an issue. But the screen was only great, straight on.

At any angle it went to shit. And the bulbs were over $100 per and those had to be changed decently often depending on the brightness setting.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you’re around a Sam’s Club or CostCo ypu can get a 65” TV for under a grand. Plus, they typically have them on display.

Id suggest looking at refresh rate and pixel. Itll keep the picture clearer. Owed Samsung(2 right now), Sony ( 0- right now), LG (0), and Sharp (1 right now).

The Sony, Samsung and LG TVs are rated the best. My 65” Sharp Aquos is actually an awesome tv. Had it for 7 years(first smart tv line for Sharp), no issues. My Samsungs have better refresh rates and the smart options are impressive. Typically cast my iPad to the tv with no issues.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What model do you have?

Right now I am thinking about this one. OLED 4K TV is a $4K TV :) But I've been watching a 50" 720P Pioneer plasma for over 15 years, so I know I will get my money's worth :)

I couldn't tell you tbh. It's 10 months old and we bought it after moving back to the UK so I'd imagine we have different model numbers/names but it is OLED and 4K UHD and looks identical to that one, but cost us £2,500 which is about $3,300 - so not sure it's the same

I must admit if you gave me $4k (and please do), I'd probably spend $2,500 on the TV and $1,500 on the sound system.

When you look at TV's in a showroom with a shit ton next to each other it's difficult to get an accurate idea, but for half what you're looking to pay you'll get a great TV.

I don't regret getting ours because it's great, but I'd do it different next time.

CeeZar

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sell TV's and the best looking picture to me is the LG OLED. I've had them all lined up. The truest blacks were in Plasma TVs and since those are the things or the past, the new top end models really bring it close. You can't really go wrong with any of them. For me, it would come down to what apps are available on the TV.

The LG doesn't have HBO Max...that bothers me
Thanks for the input. Can you recommend a 65" model number? I have HBO max now through Roku but the content sucks, IMO. We watch mostly Netflix and Amazon Prime. But the Roku will stay connected to the new TV so I'll have all of the options. I also have a home theater PC for over the air and recording over the air. So while it is a bit of a pain in the ass in 2021, I don't have an issue changing sources.

What do you thing of the LG soundbars? Would I be better off with an aftermarket? Suggestions?

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Thanks for the input. Can you recommend a 65" model number? I have HBO max now through Roku but the content sucks, IMO. We watch mostly Netflix and Amazon Prime. But the Roku will stay connected to the new TV so I'll have all of the options. I also have a home theater PC for over the air and recording over the air. So while it is a bit of a pain in the ass in 2021, I don't have an issue changing sources.

What do you thing of the LG soundbars? Would I be better off with an aftermarket? Suggestions?
We get the OLED65BXPUA. Hope I didn't miss a number. I've just always thought that price to product, LG was the best. I think these go $1500 or so. There are some lower and higher end I believe.

As far as sound bar. TVs anymore are meant to be wall mounted with their rear speakers. LG will sync easier with an LG brand...but Bose Soundbars out perform imo. There are plenty of great sound bars and you don't have to spend a ton. I prefer ones with an external Woofer because you really get that bass, but that typically is gonna dome in a 14" cube that you will have to deal with.

Also, for product to price, the Samsung Crystal UHD LED is pretty impressive for what you pay. Probably 5-$600

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin

Also. With sound bars, I've had some off brand shit come thru here over the years that sounds amazing.

I did a simple search on Google. And here are some rating for best sound bars of 2021. I've never heard of some of these, but they may be worth further looking into. Some are lower end but quality, then one link is higher end stuff. So, if ur an audiofile u may wanna spend more. I wouldn't personally.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Sorry, long winded. I can't stress enough about the external sub. Especially watching movies like Transformers or something that has a ton of bass notes. It will fill your home and bring you in it.

I swear if we were In person I would have sold you twice! Lol

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
@IowaRam - had never heard of Hisense. Checked it out after your post, and will probably purchase one. And I am a huge LG fan, But if you read the specs - not a ton of difference, for a grand less.
I don’t game, and the only thing connected to the tv is my SONOS play bar, subwoofer and surround Play Ones.
All the apps? - I use Netflix, prime, HBO Max and that’s pretty much it.
point is, there’s probably a ton of shit on the brand name units that I’ll never use.
So thanks.
Cannot help thinking all, and i
I mean ALL those screens are made in one plant, and as @RamFan503 said…
Is there REALLY that much difference relative to what we can actually see?
We’ll see - pun intended.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Stay away from Sony TVs. They had a problem where the 55"TV model I had went green screen due to a defect of an internal component burning in. Instead of recalling the TVs Sony offered a 10% discount on your next TV. If the Sony had a defect, why would I want another one?

End of day, fuck Sony. I now have a 65" Samsung 4k OLED. I like it a lot.
I had one of those. That happened about 11 year ago with their rear projection TV's.

Had to jump through a few hoops but they had a selection of of their newest flat screens to choose at like 30% of list value OR a discount (must have been 10%) for maybe any other models. I chose a 65 inch screen at the time from their list. It worked great and replaced it with an upgraded Sony and since then upgraded to another Sony.

My experience with them was excellent.

As for the other models mentioned, they are great also. If you haven't bought a TV in a while it doesn't matter what you chose, it will be amazing.

Technology and price points usually get me back in the market every three or four years.

Have fun!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno. I have never regretted buying the best for something that I will use often and for a long time. I'm watching a 15+ year old 720p plasma TV now and this one will likely go for 10+ years.

it's not about having the best, it's about the difference in picture quality between the tv they're trying to get out the door quickly for a grand and the brand spanking new tv they're selling for $4k.

both will be astronomically better than what you have right now. i'm not sure the difference in quality between the two is worth $3k.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Agree with this. I dont see a reason to ever buy a TV more that 1200-1500. Hell, you can get a 75" for $700 at walmart. But. If you care about brand name and you care about certain aspects, then so be it.

I know a lot of people with some Vizio TVs that have lasted a long ass time.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Damn....tell us you're rich without telling us you're rich! Haha
Not mine bro, have seen them but don't own one LOL
I think to accurately answer the question I was sharing that device as pretty remarkable.

Samsung are pretty but not true to bright to saturated.
Sony is really accurate
LG OLED is the nicest IMO but super thin so durability is an issue, if that matters

all 3 of the above mentions are based on their higher end models and just my take

CeeZar

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I finally pulled the trigger on a new TV. As much as I wanted the top of the line Sony OLED - XR 90J , the next version down - 65" XR 80J was $1600 less. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the 90J that would benefit me and certainly not worth the extra $$. I did get the top of the line Sony soundbar and sub - HTA7000 & SW5. I would love to have the room for a proper HT sound system but I don't have the room for the speakers. It all gets delivered on Wednesday and I am looking forward to streaming some movies with Atmos to see how well the soundbar does.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I finally pulled the trigger on a new TV. As much as I wanted the top of the line Sony OLED - XR 90J , the next version down - 65" XR 80J was $1600 less. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the 90J that would benefit me and certainly not worth the extra $$. I did get the top of the line Sony soundbar and sub - HTA7000 & SW5. I would love to have the room for a proper HT sound system but I don't have the room for the speakers. It all gets delivered on Wednesday and I am looking forward to streaming some movies with Atmos to see how well the soundbar does.

Hell of a nice TV! :thumbsup1: