What 5 movies exemplify the 80s?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I am a child of the 80s. I graduated high school in 1985, and college in 1989. Today, the 80s has become fodder for retro/nostalgic TV and movies (Stranger Things, The Goldbergs, The Wedding Singer, etc.). But, for a true feel for the 80s, I think you have to see some of the iconic movies that came out in that decade. So, my question is, if you were going to direct someone to watch 5 movies to get a feel for the 80s, what movies would you select? I had about a dozen contenders, but here are the five I settled on (in no particular order):

The Breakfast Club
The Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Wall Street

Some that didn't make the cut: Sixteen Candles, Say Anything, Die Hard, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Top Gun, Footloose, When Harry Met Sally and Big.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Goonies
Indiana Jones
Airplane
Caddyshack
Terminator
Rambo

OK , Ok , thats actually 6

could actually break the question down into categories , drama , comedy , coming of age , action , sci-fi

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Breakfast Club
Stand By Me
Mississippi Burning*
Platoon
Aliens

I am a child of the 80’s, but I graduated in 91. Tried not to copy other lists (Breakfast Club was to profound not to be #1 on my list).

So many to add, keep these gems in mind:

Coming to America, Lost Boys, Big Trouble in Little China, Heavy Metal, Pale Rider, European Vacation, Dead Poets Society, Vision Quest, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Color Purple, Highlander, Heavy Metal

*One of my all time favorite movies. Hackman was absolutely fantastic*

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not gonna argue with any mentioned before, some truly great ones. Here's a couple that I'd add:
- Roadhouse- Cmon, the throat move was totally bad ass
- Heathers- "Mean Girls" on steroids...
- Above the Law- Yes, Segal is a total prick but dayum that brought aikido to big screen
- Hoosiers- Who wouldnt want to play for Norman Dale??? "Its about time I started playing ball, I play, coach stays. He goes, I go. "
- Major League- One of the most quotable movies of all time!!!

@Neil039 Hackman is the man!!!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried to stay away from period pieces (i.e. Stand by Me, Dirty Dancing, Dead Poet's Society) or fantasy movies (i.e. The Princess Bride, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi), though many of those do scream 80s as well.

A few more that deserve a mention: Risky Business, Can't Buy Me Love, Weird Science, Splash and Fletch.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Here's some I don't see listed yet...

Poltergeist
Gremlins

*Fast Times is my all time favorite movie. I know way too much about it too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone mention Stripes??
tenor.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. Risky Business
2. Wall Street
3. The Big Chill
4. Ferris Buehler's Day Off
5. Secret of My Success

So many movies that I could list. Secret of My Success is a forgotten Michael J. Fox comedy and the theme song was an award nominated song by Night Ranger. It was totally the 80's to me...

Psycho_X

Legend
It's going to be kind of subjective based on the person, age, and what they had an opportunity to see but just the first 5 that come to mind when thinking of 80s movies would be....

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Full Metal Jacket
Die Hard
Top Gun
Breakfast Club

Things I'd like to put in are Star Wars and Indiana Jones as well but franchises seem less poignant than individual, specific movies. Hard to beat John Hughes movies when exemplifying the 80s for anyone who was under 20 throughout them.

Edit: Bah, now that I'm reading through everyone's choices there are so many I didn't even think about but are perfect.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I was born in 91 and haven't seen most of these lol, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned E.T. yet.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Pretty good lists so far. I would say that any movie that isn’t set in the 80s shouldn’t really be top 5 in this category, but thats just me.

Just to add to the list

Tootsie
Red Dawn
Trading Places
Coming to America
Bloodsport
Major League

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with all of these above. I just didn't see 'Young Guns" listed. That was a big 80's flick.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more...

Better Off Dead
The Last Dragon (one of the all time best bad movies)
Teen Wolf
Against All Odds
The Sure Thing
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
This is Spinal Tap
Rain Man