Trading down scenario

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What if the Rams were to trade farther down in the 1st and pick up a 2nd and 3rd round picks, then sign WR Mike Wallace for that lower 1st round pick? With three 2nd round and two 3rd round picks, at least a couple more starters should emerge. Free agency seems to be off to a good start and if it finishes strong, we are golden! (and blue of course)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
What if the Rams were to trade farther down in the 1st and pick up a 2nd and 3rd round picks, then sign WR Mike Wallace for that lower 1st round pick? With three 2nd round and two 3rd round picks, at least a couple more starters should emerge. Free agency seems to be off to a good start and if it finishes strong, we are golden! (and blue of course)

Oh hell yeah!!!!

Was thinking the same thing. Best upgrade at WR this year by a long shot.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who would be the dance partner? Cleveland for their 21st pick , 36th, and 66th picks? Too good to be true?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:
Who would be the dance partner? Cleveland for their 21st pick , 36th, and 66th picks? Too good to be true?

Who would some other team covet enough to make them trade up with us? We would have to do a lot of moving around.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:

Who would some other team covet enough to make them trade up with us? We would have to do a lot of moving around.

I don't know. I gotta believe somebody out there would covet Blackmon/Richardson/Claiborne enough to move up. Question would be how much a team is willing to give up?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:

I don't know. I gotta believe somebody out there would covet Blackmon/Richardson/Claiborne enough to move up. Question would be how much a team is willing to give up?

How far you wanna move down and give up that 1st round pick for Mike Wallace? Aside from him, who else is still available in FA at this point? Meachem, Colston, VJ, Garcon, and Wayne have been signed. Still have no confidence in Lloyd returning.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:

How far you wanna move down and give up that 1st round pick for Mike Wallace? Aside from him, who else is still available in FA at this point? Meachem, Colston, VJ, Garcon, and Wayne have been signed. Still have no confidence in Lloyd returning.

That's the thing. Mike Wallace is the only guy left in FA worthy of calling a #1. If, in my opinion, you are going to address the WR position in FA, Wallace is it. The only way to get him is give up a 1st round pick tender. I wouldn't want to give up the #6 pick so why not try and get something more for the pick and Wallace? Otherwise, it's starting to look like the Rams need to draft a WR with that #6 pick. And if Blackmon is gone then, do you pick any other WR (like Floyd)in this draft at 6 or just leave that hole in the roster for another year? And does that mean resigning Lloyd becomes critical?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:

That's the thing. Mike Wallace is the only guy left in FA worthy of calling a #1. If, in my opinion, you are going to address the WR position in FA, Wallace is it. The only way to get him is give up a 1st round pick tender. I wouldn't want to give up the #6 pick so why not try and get something more for the pick and Wallace? Otherwise, it's starting to look like the Rams need to draft a WR with that #6 pick. And if Blackmon is gone then, do you pick any other WR (like Floyd)in this draft at 6 or just leave that hole in the roster for another year? And does that mean resigning Lloyd becomes critical?

I think the ideal scenario for us is getting a veteran WR, and then draft one with one of the 3 picks that are in the top 40 of the draft. Our depth at WR is fine, need a #1 and #2. Theres gonna be talented WRs available at the top of round 2, they just may not come in and make the same impact that Floyd or Blackmon would right away IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramhusker said:

I'd love this scenario.

A big problem I see; we head into draft day with no WR's of significance on the roster. That would make us desperate.

If your scenario were to play out, I'd like to sign a tier 2 guy like Manningham, Steve Johnson, or someone like that. Then we could let the draft come to us; if Blackmon falls... we're good. If not, we can dangle the pick and work your scenario or draft Floyd or Kendall Wright.

Our manuevering would be much less forced.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
MerlinJones said:
I could be wrong, but didn't Steve Johnson already re-sign with Buffalo?

You could be right. ESPN FA tracker shows he's still available. A google search shows Schefter tweeting he's reached a 5yr deal, but no story other than that.

So.... I dunno? :idk:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
CGI_Ram said:
MerlinJones said:

You could be right. ESPN FA tracker shows he's still available. A google search shows Schefter tweeting he's reached a 5yr deal, but no story other than that.

ESPN is behind the times as usual. Johnson has reached a five-year deal worth 36.25 million (19.5 million guaranteed), per nfl.com and other news sources.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-tag-by-signing-johnson-to-fiveyear-extension

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memento said:
CGI_Ram said:
MerlinJones said:

ESPN is behind the times as usual. Johnson has reached a five-year deal worth 36.25 million (19.5 million guaranteed), per nfl.com and other news sources.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-tag-by-signing-johnson-to-fiveyear-extension

Well... there you have it.

Thanks for posting the story.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Mike Wallace is looking tempting! The last #1 available in my opinion.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This trade down thing could heat up a little once Manning signs. And if Manning signs with the Titans, some other teams could get a little excited about Tannyhill and the Rams could be sitting pretty again at #6. Miami, Seattle, or Arizona or even Cleveland could get a little nervous about their QB situation. Flynn will take one team out of the mix but that still leaves three bidders. I'm liking it!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Ramhusker said:
This trade down thing could heat up a little once Manning signs. And if Manning signs with the Titans, some other teams could get a little excited about Tannyhill and the Rams could be sitting pretty again at #6. Miami, Seattle, or Arizona or even Cleveland could get a little nervous about their QB situation. Flynn will take one team out of the mix but that still leaves three bidders. I'm liking it!
Are we really willing to trade to Arizona or Seattle? I think Tannehill will be overrated/overdrafted because of the need for QBs, but what if he pans out? I don't want to face him twice a year. Miami will likely sign Flynn if they lose out on Manning. That leaves Cleveland, who will be unlikely to draft him at #4. So who will want to trade up to draft Tannehill besides Seattle and Arizona?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
brokeu91 said:
Ramhusker said:
Are we really willing to trade to Arizona or Seattle? I think Tannehill will be overrated/overdrafted because of the need for QBs, but what if he pans out? I don't want to face him twice a year. Miami will likely sign Flynn if they lose out on Manning. That leaves Cleveland, who will be unlikely to draft him at #4. So who will want to trade up to draft Tannehill besides Seattle and Arizona?

Tannehill will be overdrafted. And that is perfect. I don't mind trading with Seattle or Arizona if you make them pay for an overrated QB. The Rams have enough holes that can be filled with starters at the 12th or 13th pick in this draft as well as the 45th or 46th pick. The way I look at it is we can get two starters for the price of one and maybe another "depth" pick.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ramhusker said:

Denver is in a really tricky situation. What happens with Denver and Tebow if Manning goes to Tennessee? That also makes Matt Hasselbeck expendable and everyone will bring up Cleveland as a destination for him. Maybe they wont get desperate for Tannehill at #4 if that happens.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:
Ramhusker said:

Denver is in a really tricky situation. What happens with Denver and Tebow if Manning goes to Tennessee? That also makes Matt Hasselbeck expendable and everyone will bring up Cleveland as a destination for him. Maybe they wont get desperate for Tannehill at #4 if that happens.

If Manning goes to the Broncos Tebow either stays as backup, gets traded to the Jags for a late round pick, but most likely gets released.
Hasselbeck is at best a lame backup. But Locker could get moved if the price is right.

The Browns make take Tannehill at #4. They are just that stupid. If not Grandpa Weeden at 22 would be a lock for them. Then Blackmon is there for Rams.
What the idiot Browns should have done was sign Jason Campbell at QB, take Blackmon, best RB at 22, Jenkins with their first 2nd and Scwartz the RT with their next pick.

I think some team will use a first for M. Wallace of the Steelers. So yeah Rams trade down a few spots get Wallace, pick up some more picks that can be used to build depth on the team. Perfect.
Unless some team really, really wants that #6 pick we won't get a boat load but we would get more early round picks.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Everything will take shape once Manning signs.