The St. Louis Cardinals MegaThread.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Welp, I'm not happy with John King. I'm not happy with losing three out of four. We could end up out of the race, and Marmol could be fired by April. Worse still, Arenado could ask for a trade.

At least we have a high draft pick and a lot of good young players to look forward to this year?

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scared of the bullpen, but I'm happy that Contreras is showing out. Ranked the top catcher in stealing strikes, hit two home runs in two days. Now for the rubber match against the Padres.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Whitey Herzog just passed at the age of 92.

Rest in peace, Whitey...

Memento

Name
Jemma
Just…FUCK C.B. Fucknor up the ass with a spike-studded spatula. Preferably without lube.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Masyn Winn is the best all-around shortstop for the Cardinals since Edgar Renteria. Honestly, I think he deserves a lot of ROTY votes, even though the Cardinals aren't playing their best; he's been a total game-changer at shortstop.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Alec Burleson has been lowkey one of the best hitters in baseball. We may have our first baseman of the future, even if Goldy leaves. Add in Winn, Walker, Gorman, Donovan, and potentially Scott and Saggese, maybe Chase Davis, and that's a solid young core. Add in Pallante, Liberatore, Thompson, Graceffo, Kloffenstein, and guys in the minors like Hence, Mathews, Robberse, Roby, and Hjerpe, and that's solid pitching.

And we still have a #7 overall pick to play with, along with picking fifth in each round.

And we're the hottest team in baseball since Mother's Day.

I'm feeling a lot more positive than I was. As much as the Cards seemingly love to give me miniature panic attacks, they have my heart in a vice grip as well.

Memento

Name
Jemma
MLB Draft's first round is on today. Cardinals have the #7 overall pick. I don't care what they do (prefer Griffin or Rainer), but just don't draft a pitcher, please...

Memento

Name
Jemma
Wetherholt. Fuck.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Cardinals entire season has been a ginormous clusterfuck. Fire. Every. Fucking. One. Of. The. Front. Office. And. Coaches. And get some new fucking blood in there that knows how to develop young talent because this is a fucking joke how we've continued to do the very definition of insanity.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It’s ownership. We need an owner who wants to win more than make a profit. Thats baseball.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It’s ownership. We need an owner who wants to win more than make a profit. Thats baseball.

Ownership is only part of the problem. My issue - one of them - is clinging to tradition and being too arrogant to accept that we need new blood in the entire organization from the top down. Mozeliak, Girsch, Flores, Marmol, all of our coaches, every single one of them has been hired from within, either as a former player or as a coach in our minor league teams.

We need people with innovative ideas on how to develop younger players (Walker, Gorman, Liberatore, Thompson, Scott, Saggese, Roby, Chase Davis, Wetherholt, etc., etc., and so forth.) and cutting bait on the older players who are just not going to help us win anymore (Goldschmidt, Mikolas, Matz, Contreras, Gibson, Lynn) or who will bring back a great return (Helsley (if they don't deal him after the season he had and will likely never have again, I am going to be furious), Arenado (who should be traded before he declines further), Nootbaar (maybe another team will give us a younger player who is struggling for him?), Donovan (who is outperforming every metric), Siani (who will likely never have another year like he's had), Romero).

The Cardinal Way is fucking dead and should be buried for good instead of reanimated over and over to the same results.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Adding to this: we should build our infield around Winn and Burleson. Yes, Burleson should be playing first base every day. He's simply not an outfielder, and his metrics scream "FIRST FUCKING BASE" to everyone who is not part of the Cardinal front office. Wetherholt will be a stud second baseman. Gorman can be a trade chip or maybe build his value back. Walker and Scott should be playing every day in the outfield.

If I can see that, why can't the fucking front office and the fucking managers?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How many times have we been in on the superstar only to lose out on him?

It’s a profit based business in a league with no hard salary cap. A cursory look at the budgets of the competitive teams in baseball makes it pretty obvious. Yes, it is still somewhat possible to win every now and then with a middle 3rd spend - but you can’t expect to really compete with the dodgers when you spend like the Cardinals.

But also - yes - clean house. They are trapped in mediocrity under the current regime. But the owners are printing money so no real pressure on them to change anything.

Memento

Name
Jemma
How many times have we been in on the superstar only to lose out on him?

It’s a profit based business in a league with no hard salary cap. A cursory look at the budgets of the competitive teams in baseball makes it pretty obvious. Yes, it is still somewhat possible to win every now and then with a middle 3rd spend - but you can’t expect to really compete with the dodgers when you spend like the Cardinals.

But also - yes - clean house. They are trapped in mediocrity under the current regime. But the owners are printing money so no real pressure on them to change anything.

Part of that, I blame the front office for. The only thing that kept us from a Juan Soto trade with the Nationals wasn't Walker or Winn. It was Dylan fucking Carlson, whom we just gave away for literally nothing after his value plummeted. Mozeliak said as much, something about "they'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off of him (Carlson)."

This front office has no idea how to return our stagnating prospects and players for maximum value (we could've had Gabriel Moreno and one of Bryce Miller or Bryan Woo for Nootbaar and Donovan, respectively, who have both backed up statwise the year after. We could've dealt O'Neill for more than two flyers a long time when his value was high. Soto could've been had for Carlson and prospects, and damn, wouldn't that look so fucking good right about now? And it just goes on and on), no idea when to stop paying the veteran players for past production (yes, Albert Pujols worked. I'd argue that Molina, Wainwright, and now Goldschmidt didn't...along with Mikolas and damn near everyone we've picked up as of late.), no idea which veteran players to not pursue (*coughMarcellOzunacough*), no idea which prospects to keep (should've kept Alcantara and Gallen instead of dealing them for Ozuna), no idea just how fucked they've gotten this team from the top down. I personally think that ever since Oscar died, they've done nothing but react to everything instead of being proactive like they were.

DeWitt is a microcosm of all of this. You cannot expect to do the exact same things that have led us to mediocrity at best and have the arrogance to believe that only you can fix it without any help from the outside. Mozeliak and Girsch apparently are being retained (no word on Marmol, but I have to imagine he gets canned...and it's not all on him. He can only play with the hand he's been given, and it's a really shitty one. Mind you, I still want him gone. I just don't think he's nearly at fault for what the front office has given him, even though he's done himself no favors.), so I expect the SOSAC next year as well. Oh, and they apparently want to retain Goldschmidt the "future HOFer" when he's not even borderline and quite clearly done. Don't expect them to get my time and money if they do that. Don't expect them to get my time and money

Despite what my dad believes, Shildt wouldn't have worked out either. The arrogance to want Randy Arozarena gone and then demand that you get to make all of the future decisions the very next year when you've had a mediocre year? Absolutely wouldn't fly with me, and it's not like he's suddenly Whitey Herzog in his prime.

But that's just my opinion. I don't matter to the Cardinals...but they won't get a fucking cent out of me if they keep doing the same horseshit song and dance they've been doing.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was a pretty big Shildt fan myself - but no arguments to make on the personnel decisions you cite.