Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I stole this from Aeneas on RRF but I thought you guys might enjoy these screencaps:
So tavon is a poor blocker (according to some knucklehead at rotoworld who, btw, took a blurb from espn's site and turned it tavon slight):

zta02.png

and of course tavon's huge block that was key to springing zac for a huge gainer:

zbr01.png

zbr02.png

That's our little Tavon Austin blocking Tennessee LINEBACKER ZACH BROWN. That's 175 pounds pushing around and bullying 250 pounds. Tavon has heart.

Here's a gif of the Stacy run...you can see Austin making the block when he burst through the OL at the 33 yard line:
ZacStacey.gif

jjab360

Legend
He might be 175 lbs, but that is 175 lbs of pure muscle.
20130224_jel_ss1_331.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Not surprised he can push around pretty much anybody he gets leverage on.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its easy for the media to label him as a poor blocker bc it would make sense given his size. Obviously i think we've all seen this is not the case....he gives as much or more effort blocking than any of our receivers and ill take that any day

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
cant wait to see this kid once the game starts slowing down for him and hes making plays every week.

V3

Hall of Fame
He did well on that play. I really haven't been watching his blocking because it's usually off screen or I'm just not looking for it so I can't really form an opinion but I'm not going to say he's a good blocker based on one play. I'd be curious if PFF(or anyone else for that matter) has a stat for WR blocking ability and how Austin grades out. Heck, why not see how all of our WR's grade out. I think we already know how Cook grades out in that department.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
Does that pic look to anyone else, like he is running fast as shit and doin it like it aint no thing?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He did well on that play. I really haven't been watching his blocking because it's usually off screen or I'm just not looking for it so I can't really form an opinion but I'm not going to say he's a good blocker based on one play. I'd be curious if PFF(or anyone else for that matter) has a stat for WR blocking ability and how Austin grades out. Heck, why not see how all of our WR's grade out. I think we already know how Cook grades out in that department.

I don't find PFF's grades to be very reliable. However, to answer your question, Tavon Austin has the 4th best run blocking grade on the team according to PFF behind Jake Long, Shelley Smith and Harvey Dahl.

Cook actually made some good blocks against Tennessee. He even ran down the field to get a lead block for Stacy on the play in the GIF.

Which makes it that much more frustrating that he doesn't give that sort of effort all the time. :confused:

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't find PFF's grades to be very reliable. However, to answer your question, Tavon Austin has the 4th best run blocking grade on the team according to PFF behind Jake Long, Shelley Smith and Harvey Dahl.

Cook actually made some good blocks against Tennessee. He even ran down the field to get a lead block for Stacy on the play in the GIF.

Which makes it that much more frustrating that he doesn't give that sort of effort all the time. :confused:

That was the first game in a LONG time that I saw any kind of effort from Cook. It was probably just because it was his old team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thanks for the post jrry.

Blocking is ___% mental.

…..

Legend
I know this is a thread about Austin....but I found it extremely difficult to tear my eyes from Zac Stacey.

What a run!

jjab360

Legend
Also, that play where Clemens overthrew him, Austin was ridiculously quick getting away from the attempted press coverage, the CB never even got his hands on him. Watching T.Y. Hilton on Sunday, Austin definitely has the potential to be that kind of receiver. Trying to force him into the Amendola/Welker role is a mistake when he has the speed to get downfield that those guys could only dream of.