Talk Of Cancelling The Pro-bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...oger-goodell-came-close-to-canceling-pro-bowl

In case you didn't notice, the NFL has added a few new wrinkles to the Pro Bowl this year. There's new uniforms, there's no kickoffs and instead of the AFC against the NFC, Sunday night's game will feature two teams that were selected in a scintillating Pro Bowl Draft that was held on Jan. 22.

However, those new wrinkles almost didn't happen because there almost wasn't a game, according to NFLPA president Domonique Foxworth. Foxworth said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell almost canceled the Pro Bowl.

"Roger was very serious about potentially canceling the Pro Bowl because apparently it's very expensive and isn't of a ton of value to them," Foxworth said this week, via USA Today. "To be honest with you, I was completely comfortable with eliminating it until I talked to the players, and they said they loved it and they want to be there."

Goodell talked about the possibility of eliminating the Pro Bowl two years ago after a 2012 game that seemed to have everything except for effort, "We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said in February 2012.

Instead of eliminating the game, the NFL decided to make drastic changes. Instead of kickoffs, teams will start at the 25-yard line and there will be a two-minute warning at the end of each quarter to give quarterbacks an opportunity to direct more two-minute drills.

One rule change the players aren't a fan of? The whole drafting thing. It's not specifically the draft they don't like, it's the possibility of having to hit their own teammates. For instance,Colts linebacker Robert Mathis might have to lay a hit on Colts quarterback Andrew Luckbecause the two players are on opposite teams.

"That's the only legitimate concern, and I completely understand it," Foxworth said. "I was faced with the possibility of canceling the game or trying to make it interesting. If some of these conflicts that we create make it so we can't go forward, then we'll throw the game out."

Basically, if the fans and players don't like the 2014 version of the Pro Bowl, there might not be a 2015 version. The Pro Bowl will air at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday on NBC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still prefer if they just did a Skills Challenge instead.

Ram_of_Old

Remember the old Battle of the Network Stars? I saw an old rerun with Howard Cosell. It was pretty neat. Maybe something like that, huh?

Ramifications

Remember the old Battle of the Network Stars? I saw an old rerun with Howard Cosell. It was pretty neat. Maybe something like that, huh?

Robert Conrad took it really seriously. I thought he was going to go James West on somebody.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
They shouldn't have changed anything.

What they should have done is add some kind of home field advantage for the SB the following year, like in the MLB. Then players would play hard. If the NFC won it last year then the SB would be in Seattle this year. I'm completely good with that. I don't like these random locations for the SB at all...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They shouldn't have changed anything.

What they should have done is add some kind of home field advantage for the SB the following year, like in the MLB. Then players would play hard. If the NFC won it last year then the SB would be in Seattle this year. I'm completely good with that. I don't like these random locations for the SB at all...

The league makes more money if they plan ahead on what city it'll be in and get to choose.

A55VA6

Legend
This years game will probably tell us if there will be a Pro Bowl game next year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't understand the format until the other day and one of the things that came to mind was team mates possibly having to hit each other.......

How the fuck did they not catch that bad idea, I thought of it in moments!

Dumbasses.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The league makes more money if they plan ahead on what city it'll be in and get to choose.

I don't know fit hats true, I doubt it. But they should rotate it to different cities.

And play it in cold weather hahahahahahaha

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I still prefer if they just did a Skills Challenge instead.
That would immensely more interesting. I just don't know how they'd structure the defensive skill challenges.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the Pro Bowl right now, they're actually playing hard. It's nice to see.

Ram_of_Old

I made it through the half until I could not take any more of Sanders and Rice making fools of themselves. I was surprised the intensity of the players. The D lines did not just stand there, like they had in the past. These guys seemed to be playing to win, for a change. The NFL will play it big that this was a high energy game, but I still am not crazy about it. It was okay.....