T Softli audio. Zac and the Coach audio. Venturi article.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Softli (On Rams in general)
http://www.101espn.com/templates/audio_ ... e=s&a=9390

Zac and Coach (Expectations for the Rams on Saturday)
http://www.101espn.com/templates/audio_ ... 381&type=s

Zac and Coach (What to expect from the Cowboys)
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... e=s&a=9358

Coach breaks down the Dallas game
By Rick Venturi
I think the majority of RamS’ fans approached the game with the Chiefs with a bit of foreboding. The Rams had started poorly at Indianapolis, while the Chiefs were impressive in their pre season opener. I would venture to say that most of the fan base felt a sense of relief and hope with the elevated performance of the Blue and Gold Saturday night in the Dome.

One thing to remember, never get too elated over a preseason win, and never gets too deflated with a loss. I do, however, believe my system of scoring the games by quarters (6-3-2-1 per quarter victories) tells a reasonable story, rather than the sometime distortion of final scores. However, preseason games are affected by two factors – 1) teams prepare at different levels strategically and tactically, and 2) teams reach vastly different emotional levels, which is not nearly as dramatic when the games count.

For instance, the Colts’ preparation and intensity in the first game was at a high level, while the Rams played game two with a purpose. I also thought the Rams’ performance was somewhat predictable in that the first game was a wakeup call, and they came out on fire. They did expand the playbook on both sides of the ball, but more importantly, came out with high intensity, while the Chiefs and their faithful were still admiring their success in game one. So, enjoy the good performance and move on.

The Rams where able to come out against the Chiefs and do the things you have to do to be successful. Within five minutes, the Rams had accomplished the two “big picture” issues I think will be the keys to improving the woeful point totals of the past. First, Sam Bradford used 1st and 10 play action to freeze the rush and give Danny Amendola the time to get open on a deep, run away race route (big play number one). Then they come back with a cutback run to Jackson for 18 yards (big play number two). They then top off the first drive with a well executed “high red” nod route to Lance Kendricks and he takes it in (big play number three).

Follow this with a big play on defense when Jenkins blows up Chiefs’ receiver Jon Baldwin on a slant pass and the Rams got a turnover and a short field (four big pays). The offense then took it in and finished off with a touchdown pass to Amendola, and in doing so, overcame an inexcusable false start penalty. If the Rams can continue to make BIG plays and FINISH drives in the red zone, they will be vastly improved.

The good news is that Sam was sharp, Amendola reestablished himself, and Givens and Quick showed flashes that I like. Givens will be the one guy who can climb over a defense, and Quick will add length and ability to the red zone attack. The offensive line was better, particularly Saffold, while Richardson was solid on the run, although still on the fringe in pass protection.

The defense was better. They minimized big plays and made the Chiefs work hard on their touchdown drive. Quinn and Brockers were incrementally better, while Quinn flashed on the rush. The corners are holding up well, while the safeties continue to struggle on coverage. The biggest areas of concern are 1) the inability to get off on third down and 2) allowing the Chiefs to run the ball through the low Red Zone. Guys who caught my eye were Jo-Lonn Dunbar, with the excellent short yardage play, Trumaine Johnson, with physical play, McIntosh with his activeness, and running back, Richardson with his compact north and south running style.

The Cowboys will come in with their own set of issues. Jerry Jones has pontificated in the off season about the window of opportunity closing on “America’s Team”, which does nothing but increase the heat on head coach, Jason Garret. Saturday, the Cowboys will be limping into the game, with injuries to their receiving corps and offensive line.

The Cowboys started slowly in the opener, and were a disaster on offense. The offensive line was dominated by the Raider defensive line and aggressive defense. The big offensive line shake up (moving Tyron Smith to left tackle, and switching Doug Free over to the right side) is a work in progress. On paper, Smith is the prototype, athletic blindside guy, but he’s never played on that side, so he is in uncharted waters. Free, after solid play early, struggled last year, but is better suited to play in closer quarters on the right side. Mackenzy and Livings have been added at guard to add bulk to the undersized Costa at center. This crew was a bit better Sunday, but I think Romo will need all his escape ability to survive.

The Boys will play Saturday without their superb tight end, Jason Whitten. This is a big advantage since this is Romo’s number one option on third down, in the red zone, and whenever the game is on the line. For now they will try John Phillips and James Hanna at tight end in their sets to get the desired balance of running game and pass protection. They like Phillips as a swing H-back, full back to create two back sets.

Their receiver corps is depleted coming into Saturday night, with both number one receivers, Dez Bryant and Miles Austin, sidelined with leg injuries. Kevin Ogletree, previously an underproductive receiver, will have to carry the load until the regular season. Tony Romo will be up against it until the receivers get healthy, and the offensive line gets it right. I like his talent and aggressiveness, but he will try to win and will, at times, force the issue. He can extend a play and adlib and make big plays. I’ve always believed you should contain, squeeze, and collapse the pocket, never letting him move, and force him to throw out of a deep well. If Long and Quinn can contain and compress Romo, it will be up to Brockers and Langford to make it hot for him inside.

To be a good offense, it will be imperative to develop a running game with Demarco Murray (yes, that guy) and change up back Felix Jones. The Rams must stop the run, knowing this is a challenged receiver group, and be ready to attack their offensive line in long yardage situations.

On defense, the Cowboys are pretty damn good. They don’t give up many points, and they can put big heat on your quarterback. Their defensive coordinator, the colorful Robb Ryan, brings a 3-4 system that is somewhat of a cross between the old school, Belichick 2gap – 30, and the more multiple pressure concept of his brother, Rex. He loves to bring combinations of five man rushes, but will occasionally bring total zero pressure.

This is a potentially top 10 defense, led by probably the very best defensive player in the NFL, DeMarcus Ware, and a very good complementary guy on the other side in Anthony Spencer. When those two guys are on, you better be ready. If Ware plays, you MUST have a help plan or you’ve got trouble. Carter and Lee on the inside are solid, not great.

The front three are solid 3-4 types, but nose tackle Jay Ratliff is still a handful for your center. If Wells plays, he gets a big challenge and if it’s Turner, it will be the moment of truth. The back end is getting a makeover with veterans Church and Sensabaugh at safety. With excellent nickel corner Scandrick a fixure, the Cowboys made two huge moves to better their 23rd ranked pass defense last year. They acquired top corner talents Brandon Carr, via free agency, and number one pick, Morris Claiborne.

It will be very important this week that the Rams win the battle for 1st down on both sides of the ball. If you get behind in the count with the Dallas defense, their 7th ranked sack unit can ruin your day. Conversely, if you control DeMarco Murray on first down, it would allow you to get after Romo through a very questionable offensive line. Again when this contest is in the can, the most important accomplishment will be another week of noticeable improvement.