Rookie cap, Rams decisions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

With their first pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Rams should take...

• OT - Matt Kalil

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • CB - Morris Claiborne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • QB - Luck, Barkley, Griffin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WR - Justin Blackmon

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • TRADE IT!

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Now that there's no insane salary for unproven college athletes (thanks, but that's 3 years too late), who do you think the Rams should draft in April? What do you think is the biggest need, coupled with the best fit? Continue to try and build a dominant defense? Get a QB in here to compete with Bradford? Get your LT of the future and let everyone else on the line slug it out? Get a playmaking wide receiver? Or trade that thing away and stock up?

Share your thoughts.

Me? I want a playmaker. Whether it's Blackmon, or a trade down to get Jeffery, or take the best defensive prospect in the draft in Claiborne. If I have to narrow it down to one decision, I'm gonna have to say Blackmon (if a trade isn't there).

bluecoconuts

Legend
No to a QB, we have Sam, I think he's better than them, and that includes Luck.

I picked Matt Kalil, because I feel he's the BPA and he can help two, or even 3 positions on that O-Line.

If he isn't there (if we pick 3rd or higher) then Blackmon, or Claiborne would make me happy. Trade down if the offer is good enough. Really anything we do will make me happy, other than a QB. We have that.

Blackmon paired with Lloyd would make for a real good passing offense though, so I would like him a lot. I'm really torn between him and Kalil, but Kalil beats him out slightly

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I went with Kalil. He is potentially a once in a decade type talent at LT. IMO he will be BPA.

However I would not mind seeing us trade back either. I have heard rumblings over the past few weeks that RG3 will bee taken ahead of Luck. Especially if the Panthers OC gets the head coaching job in Indy. If Luck is sitting there then we have a substantial bargaining chip. You wont hear any complaints from me if we traded back and picked up a guy like Alshon Jeffrey and get some extra picks.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I voted Kalil, but would not mind a play maker either. Sorry BC, but I don't know how you can say that Sam is better than Luck at this point.....I would venture to say he is on par or behind Kellen Clemons at this point....

bluecoconuts

Legend
Faceplant said:
I voted Kalil, but would not mind a play maker either. Sorry BC, but I don't know how you can say that Sam is better than Luck at this point.....I would venture to say he is on par or behind Kellen Clemons at this point....

Well Luck has never played an NFL game, but I feel that if the last four draft classes were all redrafted again (without any NFL experience) Bradford would be the first off the board, over Newton, Tebow, Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Luck, all of them. Maybe I'm just a homer in that sense though.

Also, I'm not counting this season because the situation has just been so bad for everyone nobody can really succeed here. With all the injuries, and miscues, etc.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If the Rams had a chance at all of the QBs you listed above and took SB over Newton, I would puke.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's try to keep this about the topic. We can have a Clemens/Bradford debate in another thread, though I don't see the practicality of that. Clemens is a 5 year vet who had the luxury of learning behind Favre and was presented with a scaled down offense. Something Bradford hasn't been afforded yet.

Anyway... another thread if you so please.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hands down, w/o a doubt...Justin Blackmon. We need a legit, young, down field threat w/ sure hands. Even if Lloyd resigns he's gonna get triple teamed (like yesterday) so its a moot point.

We got the QB, we got a LT. We also have a stud RB. Now it's time to get that damn #1 WR.

superfan24

Starter
Trade down and get Michael Floyd and then a couple 2nd rounders.
Get a DT and maybe an OT there

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It depends on what we do in free agency obviously. If we would have picked up Gaither when he was released, then Blackmon would absolutely be a no brainer.

I can't get over the fact that the offensive line is the weakest part of the team and it is the key to both the running and passing game. This shouldn't even be a problem this year, it should have been fixed, but it is what it is.

I want Blackmon or Richardson, but I think the correct pick may be Kalil, who may be considered one of the best players in a potentially star rich top of the 1st round.

Now, I could easily be convinced to pick Blackmon, if the depth is there on the offensive line at the top of the 2nd, or a trade back into the bottom of the 1st round for the best RT, or G.

Without knowing the course of action, I picked Kalil, but I want Blackmon.

[mp3]http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/princessbride/blunders.mp3[/mp3]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting that nobody wants Clairborne. Is it because we've had 200 corners come through here and they all, for the most part, have been playing fairly well? That tells me one of two things. Spags can coach up corners, or the defensive line is beast mode.

Still. Shut-down corner AND kick returner isn't enticing?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu238ps25es[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Interesting that nobody wants Clairborne. Is it because we've had 200 corners come through here and they all, for the most part, have been playing fairly well? That tells me one of two things. Spags can coach up corners, or the defensive line is beast mode.

Still. Shut-down corner AND kick returner isn't enticing?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu238ps25es[/youtube]
I think he's a very intriguing prospect, and we need a KR, and will possibly need a corner, but we may not need a corner, so.....That's a high pick for a corner/KR.

edit: I'd jump at him in a trade down scenario.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wouldn't mind picking him up, I just feel that if healthy, we have some pretty good talent at corner. I feel the biggest needs are for a better O-Line (via playing better, or a new pickup in either draft/FA), another playmaker or two on offense, and then an upgrade at DT, OLB, and maybe Safety (although I really like Stewart)...

I mean he's a great corner, but I feel that there are other players that are better and will have a bigger impact. That's what makes me say Kalil over Blackmon. I really like Blackmon though, so I'm torn between the two players, more so than any other draft.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's just WAY too early for me to even start to seriously consider the draft. :amped:

I'll hold off on casting a vote, but I'll share a couple of thoughts.

While I would say that Blackmon would be my pick (assuming he's the top WR),,, I have a hard time forgetting a conversation that I had with Jay Gruden during one of our boys' games. At the time, Jay was the HC of Orlando's arena team and he was in the process of putting his team together for the upcoming year. He told me that the biggest challenge for all of the arena teams was finding quality offensive linemen,,, especially OTs. He said the NFL teams sign just about anyone with a glimpse of ability (because they are desperate too), thus leaving them with almost nothing to choose from. Quality OTs are maybe the rarest find in the draft.

It's obvious to me that we are in dire need of at least one OT. If Kalil grades out to be the BPA after Luck, it's probably smarter to draft him. Then sign a WR with experience to help Sammy.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im goin with Kalil for now, but it sure is nice to think about what our offense could be like with Blackmon and Lloyd on the outside.

Heres some good information on Blackmon. The draftace link has some video links there:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=37873#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/col ... yer=37873#</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://draftace.com/blog/2011/11/12/justin-blackmon-scouting-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://draftace.com/blog/2011/11/12/jus ... ng-report/</a>

Matt Kalil scouting report:
<a class="postlink" href="http://draftace.com/blog/2011/11/05/matt-kalil-scouting-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://draftace.com/blog/2011/11/05/mat ... ng-report/</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Jackson would make a good offensive lineman, but he's a bit too slow off the snap.

Clemons_420_121811.jpg

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Claibourne is one of my favorite prospects if we were to trade down into the 5 - 10 range, where it may be a bit premature to pick Floyd or Jeffery or Wright.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
superfan24 said:
Trade down and get Michael Floyd and then a couple 2nd rounders.
Get a DT and maybe an OT there

Agree. Get as many picks as we can! We need to build this team through a youth movement rather than picking up older free agents. We went from one of the youngest teams to one of the oldest through free agency.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Blackmon or Richardson We haven't had a lot of luck in the draft in recent years picking OTs and DTs. Let's try something else.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
I think Jackson would make a good offensive lineman, but he's a bit too slow off the snap.

Clemons_420_121811.jpg

rofl.

It is kinda the same thing with that Bengal edge rusher.

I'm not sure what is going on, but Lance Kendricks looks lost in his blocking assignment. lol