Rams notes: Quick hopes to build on TD catch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Chris Lee
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 3e009.html

50d29d037cb6d.preview-620.jpg

Brian Quick’s touchdown catch in the Rams’ 36-22 loss Sunday to the Vikings offered a tantalizing peek at his ability, as he jumped over the Vikings’ Josh Robinson along the sideline of the end zone and managed to keep his feet and elbows inbounds.

“That’s a big-time play. It wasn’t an easy catch,” quarterback Sam Bradford said Wednesday. “He went over a guy and made a tough catch look easy. Hopefully the next two weeks we can get him out a little bit more and get him involved.”

Quick would like nothing better. He was used on 26 plays Sunday and caught two passes for 12 yards. It was just the second game in which he had more than one reception.

“There’s nothing as far as disappointment about where he’s at” in his rookie season, coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s working hard in practice and in the meetings and has got to continue to improve.”

But the season as a whole has progressed more slowly than Quick and Rams fans had hoped for a guy drafted 33rd overall. He has just 11 catches for 156 yards.

“The way I prepare now is making it easier for me,” Quick said. “I credit my teammates for helping me and my coaches for being patient with me. That window is not so big when you’ve got other players coming up.”

Quick said he hoped his performance Sunday served as a steppingstone.

“Hopefully I’ll get another chance to make plays this week and take a step forward, being in the game more,” Quick said. “Hopefully that comes along.”

Not so ‘dumb, dumber’

Though the Rams were so despondent Sunday that one could have concluded that their playoff hopes were dashed, they remain in the hunt, mathematically.
They still could make the postseason if they beat Tampa Bay on Sunday and Seattle the following week and if the Vikings, Giants, Cowboys and Bears, each with an 8-6 record, lose each of their final two games.

The Rams made light of the long odds Wednesday by putting them in cinematic perspective.

“You’d rather have a slim chance over no chance at all,” Fisher said. “Remember ‘Dumb and Dumber,’ when he says, ‘one in 100?’ and she says, ‘No, not even one in a million?’ It’s a chance.”

Fisher was nearly spot-on in quoting the movie, when Lloyd Christmas, played by Jim Carrey, asks Mary Swanson, played by Lauren Holly, what his chances are of ending up with a girl like Swanson. Christmas is overjoyed at the prospect he has a chance.

“I think he ended up with the girl in the end of the movie, so I guess that’s all that matters,” Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola said. “So, we’ll see.”

Well, that depends on how you define “end.” Mary Swanson ended up with her husband in the movie. But two years after filming, Holly married Carrey.

Keep in mind: The Rams have two weeks, not two years. But it would be a Hollywood ending.

RAM-BLINGS

Three team members were sent home because of illness and did not practice Wednesday: running back Steven Jackson, cornerback Bradley Fletcher and defensive end Robert Quinn. Also not practicing were cornerback Cortland Finnegan (thigh), linebacker James Laurinaitis (back) and center Scott Wells (knee).

• Players turned in their Pro Bowl ballots Wednesday. The game is set for Jan. 27 in Honolulu.