Does resting our starters in preseason contribute to injuries?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t want injuries in preseason like everyone here, but are we in game shape come week 1?

Does that have anything to do with it?

Is it really freakish bad luck?

If resting starters in PS is supposed to help us be healthy for the season, is that working?

I don’t know? It’s a physical game, I get it… but the amount of injuries seems hard to cast off as bad luck.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It also makes me wonder about Reggie Scott and the conditioning program....

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

If resting starters in PS is supposed to help us be healthy for the season, is that working?

Maybe ... Maybe Not ... No fucking idea ... But a few facts worth mentionong ...

McVay has been resting starters in pre-season since 2018; and from 2018 through 2022, the Rams record in the month of September was 16-5; and that includes the awful 2022 Season.

Nacua, Kupp, Avila and John Johnson were all healthy to open the Regular Season two weeks ago, and were injured. Havenstein (ankle), Jonah Jackson(shoulder), Alaric Jackson (ankle) and Darious Williams were all injured at the start of Training Camp or early in Camp. Jonah Jackson re-injured the shoulder on Sunday.

Not sure if Noteboom was dinged-up in Camp or not; and several reserves (McDermott, Murchison, Leveston, Kendrick and Tomlinson) were all playing in pre-season games and injured before the start of the Season.

So the top-starters that sat-out the pre-season games were Nacua, Kupp and Avila. Three key players but still, just 3; and, now that I think about it, wasn't Nacua limited during Training Camp and sat-out a portion of it?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay has been resting starters in pre-season since 2018; and from 2018 through 2022, the Rams record in the month of September was 16-5; and that includes the awful 2022 Season.
Thank you. Good points.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The new way that teams do practices/scrimmages against other teams in the pre-season now allows players to get ready for the live fire of the season in ways that are better than pre-season games.

I've heard many players say that the new pre-season practices against other teams offers more reps than what the pre-season games ever did.

The old school method of beating the hell out of players in pre-season practices... once in the morning and then again in the afternoon is not the most effective way to get these top level athletes ready to play. It's the way I remember practicing back in my day... but that was the stone ages lol.

These new pre-season practices against other teams is a big improvement over pre-season games that have teams purposely not trying to show the rest of the league anything that would show their hand as to what they plan for the real action. The practices aren't on tape for everyone else and provide more reps for the starters.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Or maybe we just have a team full of malingerers. Yeah maybe I should just stay quiet. Last time I said something critical about McVay and the preparation of this team thus far I was welcomed by all the apologist committee who think he can do no wrong. But anyways lets see if McVay the genius savant can turn this team around. Hoping he does but I do remain skeptical.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Something is up and I can't put my finger on it. A lot of key players on teams are out. Deebo & CMC, Detroit has several starters out, Pacheco, Tua, Jefferson, Mixon, AJ Brown, Engram, Keenen Allen & more

Is it the fewer pre-season games even though we have the situational practicesagainst opposing teams? who knows but in 2 of the last 3 seasons injuries have had a significant impact.
It is something to consider as being more than chance.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
The new way that teams do practices/scrimmages against other teams in the pre-season now allows players to get ready for the live fire of the season in ways that are better than pre-season games.

I've heard many players say that the new pre-season practices against other teams offers more reps than what the pre-season games ever did.

The old school method of beating the hell out of players in pre-season practices... once in the morning and then again in the afternoon is not the most effective way to get these top level athletes ready to play. It's the way I remember practicing back in my day... but that was the stone ages lol.

These new pre-season practices against other teams is a big improvement over pre-season games that have teams purposely not trying to show the rest of the league anything that would show their hand as to what they plan for the real action. The practices aren't on tape for everyone else and provide more reps for the starters.
I was typing my response as you posted, it's hard to put a finger on but something feels off.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t want injuries in preseason like everyone here, but are we in game shape come week 1?

Does that have anything to do with it?

Is it really freakish bad luck?

I don’t know? It’s a physical game, I get it… but the amount of injuries seems hard to cast off as bad luck.
Great question many of us have likely thought about.

Super Bowl Win, plus two seasons with a myriad of injuries. I think the verdict is still out but should not be ignored if it happens again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. For years, we were one of the NFL's healthiest teams. Our issues now are a combination of bad luck, aging players, and guys who have durability issues.

Psycho_X

Legend
No. Hip drop tackles... lineman throwing other players into the back of their own players legs... landing on knee during a scrimmage... hammy injuries in training camp well over a month before regular season... etc etc etc. None of these injuries have anything to do with being out of game shape in week 1.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
When you try and find a reason for all of the injuries and you want to blame no preseason play which I have done to be honest or player conditioning you have to take in consideration Puka and Kupp who are in great condition and Puka's original injury was in practice... Maybe its just bad freaking luck.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Given that the Rams have had "mostly" a good track record re. injuries, I think it's mostly bad luck.

Noteboom, J Jackson and (sadly) Kupp seem injury prone. But the onslaught of injuries to other players seems like a freakish outlier.

Thank God we had our share of good luck-- both with ball-bounces and good health-- in 2021 to win it all.

Ellard80

Legend
It's not just the Rams - its all over the league. The Rams have had it worse of course, but the injuries are rampant all over.

Players are just too big and fast now. The truth is injuries are diminishing the product.

It's a bunch of ugly/sloppy games.

Also players wear a lot less padding then they did back in the day.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We had many injuries to our starters before the preseason even began. If we played them in preseason, we would have even more of them hurt, if that is even possible.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
So let's get guys who dont get injured. If he had a knee issue, no thanks, an ankle issue, uh uh. A scapula bruise, I don't think so. A concussion or 2, close the door. Then we might not have stars but we will have durability dammit!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
So let's get guys who dont get injured. If he had a knee issue, no thanks, an ankle issue, uh uh. A scapula bruise, I don't think so. A concussion or 2, close the door. Then we might not have stars but we will have durability dammit!

You might actually have a point. (I know you are using blue font). If I was drafting players, I wouldn't take someone that's ever even stubbed his toe. Some players just tend to get hurt more than others.