Best person you:ve ever known....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
My Brother in Law and My best Friend Ever.

My Sister was hit over 20 years ago by someone with no car insurance, injured good. He takes her out to dinner 3 4 times a week, helps around the house, big time.I;m disabled because I was hit by a Semi,can":t do much, but I need help he"s here..

He could have left years ago.

Next My Best friend ever died of Colon Cancer took me out of a troubled childhood and years of depression,left millions to the poor.

BTW nothing against anyone but I always like women and a man getting close to me was very very rare.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I knew a few very good people, but the one I had the best memories of was a Radiologist named Lew Santini, that I became friends with as a kid around the age of 12. I used to work for him. I fixed his fence, mowed his grass when he was away, wash his car, etc... He was about 40 years older than me. Lew was a very interesting guy that believed in cultivating the mind daily. He loved to travel and I'd be his chauffeur to the airport. A few times he'd take me along and foot the bill. He tried to teach me things and get me to broaden my interests and perspectives. He remembered much of his childhood in Italy and led an interesting life. He also was the guy I talked to most about life. My Dad just wasn't very deep when it came to that stuff. He died of cancer in his 80's. I recall going to see him in hospice with my girlfriend to tell him we got engaged. It really brightened his day. I miss having him around.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
This is easy. My Father. If I am half the man he was I would consider myself lucky. Physically abused by his father as a child, left home at 17 to join the Army, served 6 years including 2 in combat in Korea, sent his money home to help with his siblings. Not dime was there when he came home. Came home married my mom. Had 7 kids. Treated everyone of us special. I didn't know half the stuff he did until after he died. When his abusive dad died he ensured he was buried with military honors for the time he spent in WW1. Although he also made sure it was in a different cemetery than his mother. And most importantly, never passed on the abuse his father did to him. I remember being spanked by him once in my life. Once. And that was all he ever did. When he was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer I knew he didn't have long. He hung on until my last sister came to the hospital to see him. Pulled the IV lines and said he was done. Died 2 days later.

He taught me fishing with your kids isn't about fishing.
He taught me perfection to a point.
He taught me Honor and Integrity.
He taught Love is action, not words.
He taught me respect is a two-way street.
He taught me that real men can cry.
He taught family is first.

He wasn't perfect. But he was the perfect dad at the perfect time for my 6 sisters and me.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew a few very good people, but the one I had the best memories of was a Radiologist named Lew Santini, that I became friends with as a kid around the age of 12. I used to work for him. I fixed his fence, mowed his grass when he was away, wash his car, etc... He was about 40 years older than me. Lew was a very interesting guy that believed in cultivating the mind daily. He loved to travel and I'd be his chauffeur to the airport. A few times he'd take me along and foot the bill. He tried to teach me things and get me to broaden my interests and perspectives. He remembered much of his childhood in Italy and led an interesting life. He also was the guy I talked to most about life. My Dad just wasn't very deep when it came to that stuff. He died of cancer in his 80's. I recall going to see him in hospice with my girlfriend to tell him we got engaged. It really brightened his day. I miss having him around.
Nice Post Very Nice.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
This is easy. My Father. If I am half the man he was I would consider myself lucky. Physically abused by his father as a child, left home at 17 to join the Army, served 6 years including 2 in combat in Korea, sent his money home to help with his siblings. Not dime was there when he came home. Came home married my mom. Had 7 kids. Treated everyone of us special. I didn't know half the stuff he did until after he died. When his abusive dad died he ensured he was buried with military honors for the time he spent in WW1. Although he also made sure it was in a different cemetery than his mother. And most importantly, never passed on the abuse his father did to him. I remember being spanked by him once in my life. Once. And that was all he ever did. When he was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer I knew he didn't have long. He hung on until my last sister came to the hospital to see him. Pulled the IV lines and said he was done. Died 2 days later.

He taught me fishing with your kids isn't about fishing.
He taught me perfection to a point.
He taught me Honor and Integrity.
He taught Love is action, not words.
He taught me respect is a two-way street.
He taught me that real men can cry.
He taught family is first.

He wasn't perfect. But he was the perfect dad at the perfect time for my 6 sisters and me.
Awesome love to hear someone had a Great Father .....

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My grandmother on my mothers side. Of some people they use to say "That person is of pioneer stock." And she was. I don't believe there is anything she couldn't do. There is no way I could give her justice here just to many wonderful memories. So I will just relay one that always brings a smile to my face. My grandparents owned a farm in southern Indiana. When ever we would breeze thru that's where we stayed and all the family functions took place there. My uncle had bought a rifle from someone and he my father and his two other brothers and myself as tag along at 6 or 7 years old had gone to the farm to see how the gun handled. All four were military men and my father I knew for a fact was a crack shot. Out by the barn they set up a target. Man after man took their turn, know one came close to hitting the target. Well there was much talk the gun was off left, right and so on. Would have to be sited in. What we didn't know was my grandmother had come out in the yard and was watching. I looked up and she was walking toward us. She was a tall lean women that commanded respect just by her presence. "Boys what you doing" I always found it funny her calling these giants to me boys. Well they went on and on about the rifle clearly it needed some work. "Really can I see it?" Sure they handed her the gun. My grandmother looked over the rifle and in one smooth motion brought it to her shoulder pull down on the target and blew it away. Handing it back she said " Nothing wrong with that gun boys." And she walked away. Well there was much looking at the ground and kicking dirt after that. Then one of my uncles said hey lets go play some cards. They all wholeheartedly agreed. As we walked backed to the house I said dad aren't we gonna shoot some more? "No boy we are not. Now be quiet." Man I loved that woman.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This one is easy and I've been blessed being around great family & friends for years, but it was my grandfather on my mother's side James (Jim) Richard Pellegrino who taught me so many things and has shaped the man I am today.

First he always preached, "Treat people like you would like to be treated." That is the golden rule, but I heard it first from him and he practiced it everyday. It did not matter who you were, he always put a positive spin on things and taught me about Atticus Finch and never judging a man before walking in his shoes and that was well before others utilized that quote.

My Grandfather was always about Family and being true to one's commitment, "Den if a man cannot be true to his family, who can he be true to?" Football was near & dear to his heart as he was a high school standout and had opportunities to play college ball, but focused on his education and was the first in his family to graduate college (Union College).

My winter vacations during school I would stay with my Grandparent's and he would take that week off too (worked as a Deputy Director for New York State) and everyday we would go to the public library and sit and read out of town newspapers and check out books because he would tell me reading can take you anywhere you want to be and beyond. We would usually leave to go have lunch and I used to say, it's too bad the library didn't offer coffee and sandwiches and he would say years later, he should have bankrolled my idea with Barnes & Noble.

One more major thing, my Grandfather was born in 1915, he was pronounced dead and toe tagged on his porch in the pandemic of 1918, however, they did not have enough room for him on the funeral cart, so they were going to come back for him and a neighbor gave my Grandfather mouth to mouth ( very new back then) and revived him. He used to say, he was living on borrowed time.

So History, Politics (being involved), family & football being dedicated to your career in order to provide for your family and that Education was the silver bullet to poverty as well. Loved JFK and never forgave the City of Dallas or the State of Texas for what happened on the 22nd of November in 1963, but I enjoyed him every day until his death in July of 95 at the age of 80 years old.

My father and I have become closer over the years, but my Dad tended to be tougher on me in sports, school and other areas and I'm thankful for that too, however, my Grandfather always made me feel special, like I was above the rest being his first grandchild and he had 10 and a couple of years ago all of us were together at a rehearsal dinner and someone brought up that my Grandfather always favored "Den" and why do you think that was? And I responded as I looked at all my cousins...."Isn't it obvious."

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My cousin Irv. He basically was the kind of man who was kind to everyone, always positive, always encouraging to people. He was the only person who saw, in me, that I could be a writer. My mom, my dad, my other family told me I should focus on something else. Not Irv. Even though I sucked at writing at the time, he told me I could be great.

He died of a heart attack at age forty on Easter of, I believe, my fourteenth birthday. My username is named after him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My Grandma on my mothers side. easy peasy best person ive ever known. Will always miss her.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My Mom in law. She might still be here except for a shitty doctor who ignored test results that indicated irregular cells. A few years later, she had a cancer she couldn't beat (Fuck that POS to death!).

Anyway, when she died, it blasted a hole in our family and extended family. Her house is where everyone went to when visiting the area. She was funny and kind to me from day one. My wife and I still say "Your Mom would have liked that....or she would done this or that...." She died in 2005 and it still feels like a punch to the gut.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My high school girlfriend’s grandfather. He was the coolest dude. He was a bootlegger in Chicago in the late 20’s, early 30’s. Man the stories he would tell...

He lived in the neighborhood next to mine, while my girlfriend lived across town. I used to ride my bike to HIS house and hang out with him most nights and he loved the company. He loved talking about the old days. I remember he had a photo in a frame on his bureau that I asked him about one night. About 10 dudes sitting around a table all smoking cigars with his wife in a nice dress standing next to them holding a bottle. So I said ”who are those guys?” He kinda smiled and started pointing them out left to right. [name], [name], [name], Baby face Nelson, John Dillinger, [name], [name], me, [name], [name]. Holy shit. So I asked him if he ever met Capone. “Snorky? Sure I knew him. He’s the guy who told me to carry a roll of quarters wherever I went.“

“Why quarters?” I asked.

“Because when you hold them in your hand, you can hit so much harder. And if they spilled out onto the streets afterward, we called that a jackpot.”

Even after my GF and I broke up, I would still go over there and hang out. I can still smell the cigars and whiskey whenever I think about the guy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both my parents! My dad travelled a lot for work, sometimes moving the family with him to make ends meet and raise their three sons.

My mom in particular raising three boys largely by herself and molding them into men is nothing short of amazing. It wasn’t always easy, in fact right after I graduated from high school they divorced and shortly after that mom kicked me out because “I was too much like my father”. Sometimes tough love is the best kind. Today we’re all great friends, they even get along better than ever now.

I wouldn’t be half the man I am without them and I even should likely be better but I owe it all to them.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its a hard call. My father and father in law both made an impact with me. Both my parents were deaf mutes. Absolutely zero hearing. Couldn't speak either. My mother also had multiple sclerosis. My father was the only income earner. This was back in the days when hiring handicap was not politically correct. So the best he could do was press clothes at a dry cleaner. Worked there for 40 years. Making not much over minimum wage. Had to support my mom and us 3 kids.

He never complained once about the bad hand he was dealt. He made do with what he had. His boss let him work overtime to earn more money. He worked 6 days a week. On his feet all day. Sunday was his only day off. He loved football and got me into watching it with him. No, he didn't take me camping or to Disneyland. He couldn't afford that stuff. But he was home every night and there for us when we needed him. We might have had an empty fridge most the time but he always made sure we had enough dinner every night. We had a small house that wasn't much, but it was home for us. My dad lived by example that you can't complain about your status in life or bad luck. You learn to be happy with what you have. He died in 1989 of hepatitis C. He got two blood transfusions during surgery. One had the Hep C. They didn't screen for Hep C until 1991.

My father in law was another great example. He taught me some things after I married his daughter that my father couldn't. Mainly how to work around the home and fix things yourself. Plumbing jobs. Landscaping. I learned about sheet rocking and plaster. How to build a divider for my open floor plan. How to create one doorway and close off another. He was a solid citizen. Went to church on Sundays. Always helping a neighbor if they needed it. Treated me with nothing but respect. Showed me there is more to life that just existing. He died of cancer 8 short years after I married his daughter. I felt cheated that I didn't know him longer.

The one thing I can look forward to is I know I will see them both again one day.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I want to tell all you guys that posted Thank You very much

Wanted my 1st post has a Topic to be Positive and you guys proved it again and again, there are so many awesome post here.Thank You again.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I want to tell all you guys that posted Thank You very much

Wanted my 1st post has a Topic to be Positive and you guys proved it again and again, there are so many awesome post here.Thank You again.
I'm still gonna fuck with you from time to time. :zany:

It's been well over a decade we've been posting together.
Why stop tradition now?

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I'm still gonna fuck with you from time to time. :zany:

It's been well over a decade we've been posting together.
Why stop tradition now?
Bro grew up in Larchmont projects on 82nd and 2nd ,ah they were shut down in 87 and when I went to elementary I was the only white kid and well my 161 iq helped.lost my Father to Nam, if you think u can F with me lol.

Anyway really really always respected you believe it or not and hows that 1987 ZN Miami line doing,now you know its me.

I;m different love what McVay has done....