Bartell likely a cap casualty?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
From Pro Football Talk....

8. Rams cornerback Ronald Bartell — St. Louis is expected to be active on the free agent cornerback market, and also has confirmed interest in LSU’s Morris Claiborne. Due a $6.2 million salary and coming off a fractured neck, Bartell could easily be brushed aside in favor of a younger player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
January 2012 - Mike Sando

Bartell, the team's top coverage corner, said Monday that doctors have told him there's no extra risk in playing again. He fractured two bones in his neck when he absorbed a block by a Philadelphia Eagles lineman in a 31-13 loss.

While gathering belongings after the Rams wound up a 2-14 season, Bartell said he was healthier than anyone else in the locker room because he played so few snaps. He also pointed out that he was able to walk off the field and never had any lack of sensation.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think we should keep Bartell honestly, I don't think the injury will effect him in anyway, physically or mentally. He's a very underrated corner, and if we were to draft another guy, or get another top guy, we could have two lockdown guys. If we were to cut Bartell, I get the feeling he'd end up going to a high profile team and wind up in Hawaii with the extra media attention that comes from not playing in St. Louis.

RamHam

UDFA
I'd take finnegan over him, but its not a sure thing we will get him (like any other Titan free agent) so I say we keep him unless the FO is sold on claiborne like I am.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamHam said:
I'd take finnegan over him, but its not a sure thing we will get him (like any other Titan free agent) so I say we keep him unless the FO is sold on claiborne like I am.
Yeah? What do you like about him the most? His coverage skills, speed, or return abilities?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Speak of the devil...
Ron Bartell on 101ESPN earlier talking about his neck, and other things.

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/03/03052012172001.mp3[/mp3]

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Yeah I was just gonna say I heard on my way home he was gonna be on 101 today. Haven't heard the interview yet thanks for posting.

We'll see what happens, but imo you keep him. A very solid player on a team that has few. Especially considering the current circumstance of the position and the general health of Fletcher and the rest. Unless you really feel certain you are upgrading by freeing up cap space for someone else.

RamHam

UDFA
X said:
RamHam said:
Yeah? What do you like about him the most? His coverage skills, speed, or return abilities?
Definitely his coverage better that Peterson's who was the number 1 rated prospect in last years draft if i remember correctly. Even though he ran the 4.50 at the combine he has much better speed than that and his return abilities are better than anybody on our roster.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I heard that interview this afternoon, he had some interesting comments. He has always been a class act.

My guess with him is that he'll get restructured, basically that 6 mil. will be spread over a 2 year contract with maybe 4 mil. in the 2nd year. Of course he will never see that 2nd year unless he plays lights out this season. After that injury he won't have much leverage so he might take that deal. If the Rams bring in more CB help he would be a stud FS till Stewart refines his game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

bartell and claiborne are the way to go.

finnigan wants too much money. i'd be pissed if the rams gave him the $10 per year he wants.

if 2011 showed us anything it's claiborne should be the rams pick if available.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
kurtfaulk said:

bartell and claiborne are the way to go.

finnigan wants too much money. i'd be pissed if the rams gave him the $10 per year he wants.

if 2011 showed us anything it's claiborne should be the rams pick if available.

Corner is definitely an area in dire need of upgrade. I'd like to see the team score at least two new bodies. 2nd overall might just be a bit too high though.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
#2 is WAY high for Claiborne IMO. We have far greater needs than CB on this team. If Fletch is able to come back strong, Murphy back at nickel and Gordy progressing nicely, we could actually have a pretty good secondary. Just my .02....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yamahopper said:
My guess with him is that he'll get restructured, basically that 6 mil. will be spread over a 2 year contract with maybe 4 mil. in the 2nd year. Of course he will never see that 2nd year unless he plays lights out this season. After that injury he won't have much leverage so he might take that deal. If the Rams bring in more CB help he would be a stud FS till Stewart refines his game.

That is my guess as well. Not sure of the numbers but I think he will still be a Ram.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I dont see why corner is a dire need. The only corners that burnt badly was Justin King. If anything, the DT is a bigger need IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Faceplant said:
#2 is WAY high for Claiborne IMO. We have far greater needs than CB on this team. If Fletch is able to come back strong, Murphy back at nickel and Gordy progressing nicely, we could actually have a pretty good secondary. Just my .02....

Too many ifs...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i was assuming the rams were picking at #4 to take claiborne. they are trading down aren't they?

bluecoconuts

Legend
ljramsfan said:
I dont see why corner is a dire need. The only corners that burnt badly was Justin King. If anything, the DT is a bigger need IMO.

That sig is a thing of beauty. I want to see that all day long. Granted our WR's are getting open. :ww:

Agreed that DT is a bigger need than CB though, if we have our starters healthy. Gordy and Hood emerged to be solid players in my book, I think they have a good chance of pushing King off the roster.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
ljramsfan said:

That sig is a thing of beauty. I want to see that all day long. Granted our WR's are getting open. :ww:

Agreed that DT is a bigger need than CB though, if we have our starters healthy. Gordy and Hood emerged to be solid players in my book, I think they have a good chance of pushing King off the roster.

Gordy may be a solid player, but IMO he isnt a solid starter. He is a nice 4th or 5th CB.

This debate of Claiborne vs current roster guys comes down to one of the all time philosophical football draft discussions. Do you always take BPA? Because Claiborne may be BPA at 4 or 6 but we have a roster full of CBs.

Bartell, Fletcher, Murphy, Gordy, King, Atchinson, Johnson and we may add Finnegan. That would appear to be a area of strength but there are a lot of health issues with the bunch.

IMO you have to balance the two. Draft to fill needs within reason. The grades must be close. You CANNOT reach. No way, if we are drafting at 2/4/6, we can pick a DT over Claiborne. IMO there is no DT that grades out even close to him.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:
ljramsfan said:

Gordy may be a solid player, but IMO he isnt a solid starter. He is a nice 4th or 5th CB.

This debate of Claiborne vs current roster guys comes down to one of the all time philosophical football draft discussions. Do you always take BPA? Because Claiborne may be BPA at 4 or 6 but we have a roster full of CBs.

Bartell, Fletcher, Murphy, Gordy, King, Atchinson, Johnson and we may add Finnegan. That would appear to be a area of strength but there are a lot of health issues with the bunch.

IMO you have to balance the two. Draft to fill needs within reason. The grades must be close. You CANNOT reach. No way, if we are drafting at 2/4/6, we can pick a DT over Claiborne. IMO there is no DT that grades out even close to him.

Spot on man. Fletcher is a HUGE :?: now with a second knee injury. Bartell, even if healthy after his injury last year, is constantly hurt. He'll play through it, but it affects his overall performance. Murphy is still largely untested and the rest are exactly what they looks like, great guys to fill in during a pinch, but not guys you'd like to have as front line defenders.

I'm not downplaying the need for a DT at all, but the corner position has been a liability for this team for something like a decade.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ljramsfan said:
I agree with LJ here, but if they do release Bartell then THAT changes, and if Claiborne is the best BPA, then he can fill a couple of big needs...starting corner and the much needed return guy.