An Unsolved Florida Mystery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I used to work in West Palm Beach, Florida, and would pass by Woodlawn Cemetery, which was established over 100 years ago. The entrance is marked by a stone arch, built in 1925, with this phrase carved in stone:

“That which is so universal as death must be a blessing.”

I always found that phrase eloquently worded and oddly comforting.

Here’s the strange part...nobody knows the origin of the quote. There have been theories over the years, but the mystery remains.

In a weird way, not knowing the authorship somehow enhances the veracity of the words, which are compelling without the need for a citation to an unimpeachable source.

Perhaps, I just want it to be true.

Any local mysteries you’d like to share?

5CD85C2B-9A3D-41D3-A3FC-A5537AFA3FA6.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am going to ruin it for you a bit.
Friedrich Schiller. German playwright, poet, and philosopher. 1759-1805

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to ruin it for you a bit.
Friedrich Schiller. German playwright, poet, and philosopher. 1759-1805
That is one of the possible sources mentioned by the article that contained the photograph I posted. The version attributed to Schiller uses the word “benefit” rather than “blessing.” While that could be the source, there is also a version attributed to Jonathan Swift, who predates Schiller:

“It is impossible that anything so natural, so necessary, and so universal as death, should ever have been designed by Providence as an evil to mankind.”

So was Schiller paraphrasing Swift? Was Swift inspired by something he read? And what source inspired the person (unknown) who commissioned the words on the gate of the cemetery?

Still a mystery.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That is one of the possible sources mentioned by the article that contained the photograph I posted. The version attributed to Schiller uses the word “benefit” rather than “blessing.” While that could be the source, there is also a version attributed to Jonathan Swift, who predates Schiller:

“It is impossible that anything so natural, so necessary, and so universal as death, should ever have been designed by Providence as an evil to mankind.”

So was Schiller paraphrasing Swift? Was Swift inspired by something he read? And what source inspired the person (unknown) who commissioned the words on the gate of the cemetery?

Still a mystery.
Likely Schiller paraphrased Swift. However as a philosopher he would be more likely to use the word ‘benefit’. Ppl using it for a cemetery probably felt like saying blessing is more godly,

Deadpool

UDFA
My Great Grandfather was the caretaker of that cemetery for many years. Small world. He is buried there.

@Elmgrovegnome has it right.

The press never asked the right people. Better for them to make it a subject I guess.

Family legend. Never met him. My goodness the stories.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
My Great Grandfather was the caretaker of that cemetery for many years. Small world. He is buried there.

@Elmgrovegnome has it right.

The press never asked the right people. Better for them to make it a subject I guess.

Family legend. Never met him. My goodness the stories.
Uh-huh.

Why not just claim Schiller was your ancestor?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
And of course we gotta remember that Schiller probably wrote those words in German. Sometimes things get a little funky via translation.

Depending on the context, "benefit" and "blessing" could have similar connotations. To really get to the bottom of it, it would be best to know the original German words, as well as the context in which Schiller wrote it.

But yeah, I agree with Elm that the cemetery may have chosen to use the word "blessing" for religious reasons.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here’s a photo of the original gate with the same inscription:
04F85F13-7AA7-4FFC-AEEE-8CC4032653B0.jpeg

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
That was a really odd reaction. What makes you think he isn’t being honest?
He’s been here for 5 minutes and already tried to derail a couple of threads. His response was pretty nonsensical (citing to an alleged great grandfather he says he never met). His “I’m leaving” (not merely this thread, as I suggested, but the whole site) reaction pretty much confirms my troll ID on this guy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I guess I don’t understand the art of trolling.

I can’t say that I would have felt very welcome if I were him.

Deadpool

UDFA
He’s been here for 5 minutes and already tried to derail a couple of threads. His response was pretty nonsensical (citing to an alleged great grandfather he says he never met). His “I’m leaving” (not merely this thread, as I suggested, but the whole site) reaction pretty much confirms my troll ID on this guy.
Derail a couple of threads? What? Why?

You do realize you are trolling me. Right?

Anyone can see my few posts and could easily see I absolutely did nothing of the sort.

Words are powerful. Any board like this is intended for entertainment. Not to bully people or wrongfully attack their character.

People like you can be a cancer to these sites.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Derail a couple of threads? What? Why?

You do realize you are trolling me. Right?

Anyone can see my few posts and could easily see I absolutely did nothing of the sort.

Words are powerful. Any board like this is intended for entertainment. Not to bully people or wrongfully attack their character.

People like you can be a cancer to these sites.
Go away.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The cemetery was in the news a few years back (2017, I believe) when a Confederate Soldier monument that was there was vandalized. It was removed shortly thereafter.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Another fun fact...the cemetery was established by Henry Flagler, who is largely responsible for the founding of the cities of West Palm Beach and Miami, the latter of which would have borne his name had he not declined the honor.