All of Bradford's throws against Denver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MB2BuIGrI0[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well done X!

Bradford and the O was on fire to start.

That second Pettis miss... He slowed down for some reason. I think Bradford nailed the throw.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

iced

i really am perplexed at how quick isn't getting any time with the 1's and pettis still is

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
Well done X!

That second Pettis miss... He slowed down for some reason. I think Bradford nailed the throw.

He also got blatantly held. My bigger issues with Pettis were on the double move that beat the CB...he immediately slowed down and turn for the ball. Keep running, Austin, and Sam will drop it in over the top towards the corner of the end-zone. By turning around and slowing down, he allowed the CB to get back over the top of him and break the pass up.

My other issue was him not catching the deep ball. Yes, it was one hand and would have been spectacular but when you're a possession WR and your QB makes that perfect of a throw against tight coverage, you have to come down with that.

Pettis is kind of reminding me of Gibson...TC hero but it doesn't translate. I agree that I want to see Stedman or Quick get some more time with the 1s.

Lesson

Oh, really?
jrry32 said:
Pettis is kind of reminding me of Gibson...TC hero but it doesn't translate. I agree that I want to see Stedman or Quick get some more time with the 1s.

I understand what you're getting at, but I'll have to disagree.

Pettis was ridiculed his rookie year for struggling during TC. I don't remember Gibson getting so much criticism like Pettis at all during any of his TC with the Rams.

Pettis is a few inches taller than Gibson and, IMO, makes catches on a more consistent basis than Gibson.

SubZero405

UDFA
Yeah, I thought Quick would have performed better in the redzone than Pettis in those situations. I have seen nothing in the preseason to understand why Pettis is still getting a starting role.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lesson said:
jrry32 said:

Pettis was ridiculed his rookie year for struggling during TC. I don't remember Gibson getting so much criticism like Pettis at all during any of his TC with the Rams.

Pettis is a few inches taller than Gibson and, IMO, makes catches on a more consistent basis than Gibson.

I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about presently and I'm not comparing them as players. Only comparing situations. Gibson got hype in TC then never was any different come regular season. I have a feeling Pettis will be the same way. Good 4th WR on the inside but just doesn't seem to get the consistent separation to be a factor outside.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
Lesson said:
jrry32 said:

I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about presently and I'm not comparing them as players. Only comparing situations. Gibson got hype in TC then never was any different come regular season. I have a feeling Pettis will be the same way. Good 4th WR on the inside but just doesn't seem to get the consistent separation to be a factor outside.
Who do you think is the better receiver between Gibson and Pettis? Speaking purely of intangibles because Pettis doesn't have a huge body of work at the moment of course.

sent via Tapatalk.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
Well done X!

Dierdorf made a comment about the defender looking around for laundry after the play was over, as if he thought he would be flagged. Probably should have been.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
CGI_Ram said:
Well done X!

Dierdorf made a comment about the defender looking around for laundry after the play was over, as if he thought he would be flagged. Probably should have been.
Lol. Yeah he was ready to protest for sure.

sent via Tapatalk.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
jrry32 said:
Lesson said:
jrry32 said:

Who do you think is the better receiver between Gibson and Pettis? Speaking purely of intangibles because Pettis doesn't have a huge body of work at the moment of course.

sent via Tapatalk.

I'll be disappointed if Pettis doesn't end up being better than Gibson...but presently, equal or Gibson with a slight edge.

A55VA6

Legend
Sam has been almost spot on this preseason. I have good feelings about this offense. I think Pettis needs a reduced role and Bailey and Quick need a larger role. Just my opinion.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram noticing what i did:

I noticed that too. He slowed down when he turned and started to track the ball. The pass would have been perfect if he had kept his speed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:

I noticed that too. He slowed down when he turned and started to track the ball. The pass would have been perfect if he had kept his speed.

Yep! The play at the 5:00 mark. Should have caught that ball in stride.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

Yep! The play at the 5:00 mark. Should have caught that ball in stride.
Absolutely.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
jrry32 said:
Lesson said:
jrry32 said:

sent via Tapatalk.

Pettis... Neither have great speed, and their route running is so-so, but Pettis has an edge for better hands.

However I don't think Pettis is here for the long term. This is his final year correct? He'll be wearing another jersey next year, Fisher wants his guys.

V3

Hall of Fame
Here's what I saw on the misses:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it. That was purely Bradford overthrowing Pettis.

2.) There was some holding there but I think I saw others that were open. I don't think Bradford even bothered to look.

3.) Looked like there was a guy open at the top of the screen.

4.) There was some pressure from Miller (Saffold) but Bradford picked the wrong guy again, IMO. Austin was wide open in the middle- well short, granted, but he had open field to see if he could get to the 1st down. It also looked like there were open guys at the top again.

5.) Couldn't really see enough to make a call but Pettis was covered.

6.) Couldn't see the guy at the bottom but everyone else was covered.

Overall, I thought Bradford did okay but I still think there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of going through his progressions. It seems like he doesn't look at everyone. I don't know if the play is designed to go to a specific WR or if he's just not looking? Pass-pro was better than my first impression though. I'm not thrilled with Pettis at all. He just doesn't offer much unless it's in the red zone. Whatever is keeping Quick off the field is obviously big enough to the point that he's barely seeing any playing time- and that's only with the backups. They obviously don't trust him enough to use him in a game. That's a B-I-G red flag to me. It's his second year and he was taken at the top of the 2nd round. He should be seeing the field by now.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
V3 not seeing it like me:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it.

Trying to find the ball in the air is what I meant by tracking. As soon as he starts looking he slows down. That's what we're seeing. I think you have to keep up your speed when you turn your head back to look. Or at least more of it than he did. He wasn't smooth at all. IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it. That was purely Bradford overthrowing Pettis.

2.) There was some holding there but I think I saw others that were open. I don't think Bradford even bothered to look.

3.) Looked like there was a guy open at the top of the screen.

4.) There was some pressure from Miller (Saffold) but Bradford picked the wrong guy again, IMO. Austin was wide open in the middle- well short, granted, but he had open field to see if he could get to the 1st down. It also looked like there were open guys at the top again.

5.) Couldn't really see enough to make a call but Pettis was covered.

6.) Couldn't see the guy at the bottom but everyone else was covered.

Overall, I thought Bradford did okay but I still think there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of going through his progressions. It seems like he doesn't look at everyone. I don't know if the play is designed to go to a specific WR or if he's just not looking? Pass-pro was better than my first impression though. I'm not thrilled with Pettis at all. He just doesn't offer much unless it's in the red zone. Whatever is keeping Quick off the field is obviously big enough to the point that he's barely seeing any playing time- and that's only with the backups. They obviously don't trust him enough to use him in a game. That's a B-I-G red flag to me. It's his second year and he was taken at the top of the 2nd round. He should be seeing the field by now.
That's fair, but the world is going to be split on #1. :lol:

I'm not making excuses for him, but there are two things I think we have to take into account here. One, it's preseason, and very little scheming is going on to create and take advantage of isolation matchups. So, maybe he's supposed to get certain people involved and others not so much. Pure speculation though on my part. And two, there are now 3 new receivers on the team with which he has very little chemistry. I think as he develops trust with the new guys, he'll start to look their way and be more attune to where they're going to be on the field (or supposed to be) on any given play. HE knows the playbook now, but these other guys don't. Once that trust is established, I think we'll see him expanding his vision. Right now he's probably going to look for Givens first and Cook second. Maybe Kendricks too when he comes back.

The *problem* (I guess) is that we're used to seeing guys with tenure (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning) get tons of guys involved, but they've been doing the same thing in the same systems for years and years and years. Even Manning, who took his system to Denver with him.

Yes, Bradford does need to work on some stuff because he's far from a finished product. But he's now finally in a situation where the talent around him is commensurate with his own talents. Now it's just going to take a little bit of time for everyone to be on the exact same page. I can't wait until that happens. It's gonna be lights out.