After Next Season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'm just wondering out lout. How many more years does Stafford want to play and hopefully he will want to be around for a few more years. But Jimmy G is not the successor and neither is Stetson.

Should the Rams send 4 first rounders to the chiefs for Mahomes? (My pipe dream).

The Rams look like they are set for another couple of serious runs at a title but a good QB is a must. I know McSnead has a plan but I wish I knew what it is.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Guessing at some point they will identify a QB who they feel can be the guy and is "gettable", meaning he will be with in range to draft, and they will give up what they need to to get him. A guy who they really like, but still needs a year or two to develop, like Love, and he sits behind Stafford or a stop gap QB.

Or they go through a year where Stafford is all banged up and decides to retire, leaving the Rams with a high pick, due to a bad record, where they can go get a star QB.

It will be interesting and obviously a lot depends on how Stafford goes out. Will it be orderly, where he tells them a timeline and he plays out that timeline, and plays well, while they patiently develop a kid for a year or two? Or does it crash and burn and they have to force a pick and make a big a trade to get the a guy that can play as a rookie and hope that he can be solid?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'd be looking for a QB high in the draft next year and asking him to sit a year. Quinn Ewers maybe.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Feels like this is Stafford's last year with the Rams. Based on their contract negotations, I don't think there's going to be another.

Don't know what their succession plan is.

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe our coach likes plug and play. Meaning a veteran that still has some gas in the tank. Coach um up and keep rolling. Will depend on who is available. Or not.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
we are going to find out this year how healthy he can be at his age.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Wait, I thought we were waiting for Arch?

I think if we can solidify the line this year and beyond, Jimmy G could start next year (if Stafford is gone) and we can get a QB to sit. If Quinn is out there, Id say if he falls to the 20s, I would be okay with that

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they wait until they have to. Possibly take a new young guy if they don't like what they see from Bennett during the season but Staffords heir will likely be taken or traded for/signed in the off season he retires. They'll maximize his window unlike the Packers. Just my 2 cents.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Stafford's body has taken a lot of abuse, but he is not overly old, as far as QBs go. He should have at least 2-3 very good years left, if he wants to keep playing. QBs can play until 40+ today. Brady and Rodgers are doing it. Heck, Joe Flacco did it last year after after coming off the couch! Nobody thinks Kirk Cousins is on the doorstep of retirement he just signed a huge new contract - he and Stafford are the same age.

If #9 was showing signs of decline, that would be another story. But the final 6 or so weeks of last season, plus the wild card game vs. Detroit, were as good as any other other stretch of football Stafford has played IMO. The dude is absolutely elite still.

My totally speculative gut hunch? I think he is a family man and wants to spend time with his young girls and is starting to think retirement - but what is keeping him playing is that he is a competitor and wants a Hall of Fame jacket. He knows the way to do that is by winning another Super Bowl. So, I think he will go year-to-year from here on out, for as long as he thinks the Rams can compete and keep him protected. Shoring up the interior o-line was a strong step there. I think he retires as a Ram. I don't see him uprooting his family again. All just gut feelings here.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Unless there is another Stafford situation, meaning a good quarterback on a rebuilding team, I suspect drafting one in the first round is the best option.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Stafford's body has taken a lot of abuse, but he is not overly old, as far as QBs go. He should have at least 2-3 very good years left, if he wants to keep playing. QBs can play until 40+ today. Brady and Rodgers are doing it. Heck, Joe Flacco did it last year after after coming off the couch! Nobody thinks Kirk Cousins is on the doorstep of retirement he just signed a huge new contract - he and Stafford are the same age.

If #9 was showing signs of decline, that would be another story. But the final 6 or so weeks of last season, plus the wild card game vs. Detroit, were as good as any other other stretch of football Stafford has played IMO. The dude is absolutely elite still.

My totally speculative gut hunch? I think he is a family man and wants to spend time with his young girls and is starting to think retirement - but what is keeping him playing is that he is a competitor and wants a Hall of Fame jacket. He knows the way to do that is by winning another Super Bowl. So, I think he will go year-to-year from here on out, for as long as he thinks the Rams can compete and keep him protected. Shoring up the interior o-line was a strong step there. I think he retires as a Ram. I don't see him uprooting his family again. All just gut feelings here.
I agree, if he can have a similar year to last year, I could see the Rams looking at a QB with one of their 3rd rounders or a 4th rounder, assuming value matches a pick there. Get a guy that can sit a few years and develop, but a guy that has the tools to be a quality starter. Kind of like a Kirk Cousins pick when he came out.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMG_7268.jpeg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, his godson is only a Freshman so at least 3 more years so the Rams can draft Dylan Raiola! :thumbsup1: