11 Jim Everett Days Until La draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
89750978_display_image_1_.jpg

Enough said, but don't call him Chrissy!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I would have gone with the most obvious one, here. ;)

Way to think outside the box.

moklerman

Warner-phile

I can't think of who you mean.

Loved Everett. The Rams didn't draft him but they made a trade with the Oilers to get him. He was the QB prototype. 6'5", strong armed, good-lookin' gunslinger out of Purdue. The Rams had been using a patchwork, bargain-bin approach to the QB position for years and in 1986 they finally addressed the situation. Since their post-Super Bowl season of 11-5, they'd struggled to find stability and production at QB. They wouldn't give Ferragamo a decent contract in 1981 and spent 5+ years looking for a replacement. They tried Haden, Pastorini, Ferragamo 2.0, Bert Jones, Jeff Kemp and Dieter Brock.

They'd been relatively successful with a good defense and a one dimensional, although great, running game but come playoff time, they'd wind up getting slaughtered by not being able to pass the ball. 7-51 vs. the Redskins. 0-24 vs. the Bears...I guess they finally decided to go with something other than a warm body at QB.

It's kind of ironic some of the things that happened to Everett though. First, he started off his Rams career by coming in to a game vs. the Patriots and throwing 3 TD's but the Rams ultimately lost. Second, he was run out of town by the Rams and it's fans only to go on and have success with the Saints. Everett wasn't done by any means but his teammates and the fans really gave up on him. Literally wouldn't play for him a la Paul "Wrecking" Crewe in the Longest Yard.

It's why I'm not that much of a Henry Ellard fan in retrospect. Ellard lost me when even he appeared to start tanking it.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't think of who you mean.

Loved Everett. The Rams didn't draft him but they made a trade with the Oilers to get him. He was the QB prototype. 6'5", strong armed, good-lookin' gunslinger out of Purdue. The Rams had been using a patchwork, bargain-bin approach to the QB position for years and in 1986 they finally addressed the situation. Since their post-Super Bowl season of 11-5, they'd struggled to find stability and production at QB. They wouldn't give Ferragamo a decent contract in 1981 and spent 5+ years looking for a replacement. They tried Haden, Pastorini, Ferragamo 2.0, Bert Jones, Jeff Kemp and Dieter Brock.

They'd been relatively successful with a good defense and a one dimensional, although great, running game but come playoff time, they'd wind up getting slaughtered by not being able to pass the ball. 7-51 vs. the Redskins. 0-24 vs. the Bears...I guess they finally decided to go with something other than a warm body at QB.

Prime example why the Rams don't just need a ' great defense' we need to get our Offense up to par ( not GSOT up to par) as well which will make the job easier for our defense to dominate with a lead or at least the game is closer.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Prime example why the Rams don't just need a ' great defense' we need to get our Offense up to par ( not GSOT up to par) as well which will make the job easier for our defense to dominate with a lead or at least the game is closer.
I don't disagree but the defense has to be legitimate to take this approach. You can get through the season and even into the playoffs by playing keep away but eventually, especially against good teams, the weaknesses that that approach cover up, are exposed. Your defense isn't really as good as the stats show and the one dimensional offense can't keep up against playoff teams.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

lol thankyou... first thing i remember becoming a Rams fan is Everett rainbowing a pass to Flipper Anderson to secure a playoff when for us.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Norm Van Brocklin: his single game passing record of 554 still stands 63 years later. 9 pro bowls in 12 years. 2 Championships. > Everett

images

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Norm Van Brocklin: his single game passing record of 554 still stands 63 years later. 9 pro bowls in 12 years. 2 Championships. > Everett

images
Yeah ohhh Norm ws a beast back in the day... think he'd own Peyton now a days!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah ohhh Norm ws a beast back in the day... think he'd own Peyton now a days!
I think a lot of people forget that he was a punter too. Van Brocklin finished on top too. He had his best statistical year as a QB in 1960 as an Eagle, was an all-pro, punted for a 43.1 yard average and finished off the year leading the Eagles over Lombardi's Packers to win the championship.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I think a lot of people forget that he was a punter too. Van Brocklin finished on top too. He had his best statistical year as a QB in 1960 as an Eagle, was an all-pro, punted for a 43.1 yard average and finished off the year leading the Eagles over Lombardi's Packers to win the championship.
Damn... see this is what pisses me off about being younger is I have no idea about any of the older things past the 80's :/

moklerman

Warner-phile
Damn... see this is what pisses me off about being younger is I have no idea about any of the older things past the 80's :/
I feel the same way. There's a TON of stuff that I missed out on because it was before my time and perhaps even more that I missed during my time. From the late '70's to the early '90's it was tough to really catch many games that weren't in your market. That's why MNF was such a big deal for so long. It gave everyone a chance to see teams outside your local team's schedule. Not only that, halftime highlights were a pretty big deal too. Later came Inside the NFL on HBO which was a weekly, hour long show that focused(somewhat) on each game of the previous week.

I remember moving to Vegas in the mid-90's and being blown away by the sports books that had each and every game going at the same time. It was heaven. Then DirecTV came out with Sunday Ticket and I've had it ever since. Don't see how I could ever go back to just the local games.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I became a fan in 79 (basically, my mother was a fan and that's when I count myself as old enough to really care about the team), so I feel you.

Loved Jack Youngblood as a kid, but I have no direct experience with the Fearsome Foursome as just one example.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame

images
I was a little Rams junky when I received a picture book for Xmas all about my beloved team. NVB was a mythical legend to me then, and he still holds records to this day, way ahead of the curve.....